85 year old Freda will not have to re take driving test following accident in Wisbech
AN 85-year-old motorist who caused a road accident in Wisbech escaped a driving ban this week. Pensioner Freda Smith – who learned to drive in her father s Austin Seven and had kept a clean driving licence for 60 years – will not have to take a re-test be
AN 85-year-old motorist who caused a road accident in Wisbech escaped a driving ban this week.
Pensioner Freda Smith - who learned to drive in her father's Austin Seven and had kept a clean driving licence for 60 years - will not have to take a re-test before getting back behind the wheel of her Ford Fiesta.
Freda was on her way to the Dunelm store when she collided with a car at the junction of Cromwell Road and Weasenham Lane, Fenland magistrates were told.
"She shot straight out of the junction without stopping," said prosecutor Giles Beaumont.
You may also want to watch:
The Ford Fusion hit by the pensioner's car collided with a hedge, and a 4x4 vehicle was also damaged.
Mitigating, Alison Muir said: "She is devastated that her excellent driving record now has a black mark against it.
- 1 Van crashes into pram, killing five month old baby
- 2 Dad's emotional tribute after baby son dies in A10 horror crash
- 3 Covid-19 numbers in Fenland higher than rest of county
- 4 Crash boy's mum says he's 'badly shaken but OK'
- 5 Homeless champion delighted as young couple finally have shelter
- 6 Stolen American-style fridge was lifted over 10ft security fence
- 7 First large-scale Cambs Covid-19 vaccination centres open this week
- 8 Ambulance charity first in East to transfer Covid-19 patients by air
- 9 Council books seven hotels and guest houses for homeless
- 10 Coroner records Wisbech teenager’s death as suicide
"She enjoys good health, there is no medical condition that prevents her from driving, she is a fit person to drive."
The pensioner, of Prince Henry Place, Downham Market, was fined �100 after admitting a charge of careless driving. She was ordered to pay �35 costs and a �15 surcharge.