85 year old Freda will not have to re take driving test following accident in Wisbech
AN 85-year-old motorist who caused a road accident in Wisbech escaped a driving ban this week. Pensioner Freda Smith – who learned to drive in her father s Austin Seven and had kept a clean driving licence for 60 years – will not have to take a re-test be
AN 85-year-old motorist who caused a road accident in Wisbech escaped a driving ban this week.
Pensioner Freda Smith - who learned to drive in her father's Austin Seven and had kept a clean driving licence for 60 years - will not have to take a re-test before getting back behind the wheel of her Ford Fiesta.
Freda was on her way to the Dunelm store when she collided with a car at the junction of Cromwell Road and Weasenham Lane, Fenland magistrates were told.
"She shot straight out of the junction without stopping," said prosecutor Giles Beaumont.
The Ford Fusion hit by the pensioner's car collided with a hedge, and a 4x4 vehicle was also damaged.
Mitigating, Alison Muir said: "She is devastated that her excellent driving record now has a black mark against it.
- 1 Breakup and burglary! Couple's chaos after £101m win on Euromillions
- 2 Man, 28, and boy, 15, arrested after major A1101 crash in Wisbech
- 3 Recap: Main road through Wisbech town centre shut after serious crash
- 4 Inside Wisbech's new 'Get Out' escape room
- 5 Village road closing for five weeks for temporary barrier installation
- 6 Knife-wielding teen jailed after week-long crime spree in Wisbech
- 7 Middlesbrough couple found in Cambs with drugs worth around £37,000
- 8 Boys, 13 and 17 killed in horror BMW crash near A47 in Peterborough
- 9 Princess Anne waves from Range Rover after landing in Wisbech
- 10 Lorry breaks down on A47 near Wisbech
"She enjoys good health, there is no medical condition that prevents her from driving, she is a fit person to drive."
The pensioner, of Prince Henry Place, Downham Market, was fined �100 after admitting a charge of careless driving. She was ordered to pay �35 costs and a �15 surcharge.