75-test England wicket keeper Matt Prior does coaching and opens nets at Spalding Grammar School
- Credit: Archant
Former England wicket keeper Matt Prior was on hand to open a school’s new cricket nets.
The 75-test star visited Spalding Grammar School to open the nets, do some coaching and take part in a question and answer session with the school’s cricketers.
Prior scored 126 on his test debut in 2007. Since then, he has added six more centuries. In total, he has scored 3,920 runs at an average of almost 41.
The 33 year-old was approached to open the nets by his friend Simon Chappell, a Spalding Grammar School old-boy. Together, they have set up cycling team ONE Pro Cycling.
A Spalding Grammar School spokesman said: “We were delighted to have the honour of welcoming a very special guest, the distinguished test cricketer Matt Prior to open our new cricket nets.
You may also want to watch:
“Our sincere thanks to Matt and Simon, as well as the guests who were able to support the event.
“The incisive questions asked during the question and answer session which followed the coaching session led by Matt for our boys, enabled Matt to both enlighten us on the qualities needed to perform any sport at a world class level as well as inspire all to rise to any new challenges.
- 1 Woman killed and four hospitalised after crash
- 2 Pair questioned amid probe into catalytic converter thefts
- 3 The Great British Sunday is a rush to the pumps not the piers
- 4 Showcase status for Academy
- 5 Youth with 'police style baton' caught out by CCTV
- 6 Majority of councillors refuse to object to Wisbech incinerator - for now
- 7 Former mayor begins court battle to retain pub
- 8 'Emotional' quartet complete 10k for villager Paul
- 9 Secret Garden Party tickets sell out in hours of going on sale
- 10 New book launches recording family's Covid-19 experience
“Despite the typical English weather, it really was a great success and we look forward to seeing everyone from the local cricket communities as well as the school getting plenty of use out of the nets for years to come. Maybe a future England star will start here.
“We are extremely grateful to Lincolnshire County Council for putting our proposal forward and then to the ECB for providing the funds which enabled the nets to be installed.”