One man, one organisation provided a lifeline for thousands during the coronavirus pandemic - we begin a series of special reports
- Credit: Archant
In coming days we are going behind the scenes at 50 Backpacks to look at their remarkable efforts throughout the coronavirus pandemic.
Over three months they delivered 4,396 food parcels to the elderly and vulnerable of Wisbech, servicing an identifiable need that won respect and admiration.
They were helped by countless number of individuals and companies who donated cash and food.
They also tapped into an extraordinary group of volunteers who stepped forward to make it possible.
There were also Easter eggs for everyone, plants for the elderly and books for the children throughout this period.
You may also want to watch:
“This has been a three-month roller coaster but with the help of my amazing team we have touched the lives of thousands of people in one way or another,” says BackPacks chair Simon Crowson, known to most simply as Spike.
There are other successes, too, for this fledging organisation, having helped to rehome 15 people since last November.
- 1 Rough sleepers helped from tents pitched on private land
- 2 Frightened cancer patient with Covid relieved as hospital extend stay
- 3 Former Top Gear star Rory Reid spotted filming with Lamborghini
- 4 The Queen Elizabeth Hospital launches Covid-19 patient helpline
- 5 Man charged with drink driving, possession of a knife and cannabis
- 6 Cops 'cash and carry' raid nets 108 cannabis plants and £100,000
- 7 Rapist on bail performed magic tricks for police and security guard
- 8 Care home 'requires improvement' after unannounced visit
- 9 Shoplifter jailed after stealing goods worth £1,600
- 10 Coroner records Wisbech teenager’s death as suicide
In his first ever media interview Spike has allowed us to tell the story of 50 BackPacks and we have spoken to many of those he has helped.
Our featured interview with Spike is a clip of a much longer interview that will go online on Tuesday.
Our special reports begin with a brief taster of what’s to come. We will also feature first hand accounts of many of those BackPacks has helped to secure accommodation.