370 Premier Foods workers on strike in Wisbech in ongoing pay row
ALMOST 400 workers at the Premier Foods factory in Wisbech have gone on strike in the ongoing row over pay. Today s 24-hour walkout comes despite Premier Foods claim the action puts jobs at risk . The union Unite says that 370 of the 490 employees are t
ALMOST 400 workers at the Premier Foods factory in Wisbech have gone on strike in the ongoing row over pay.
Today's 24-hour walkout comes despite Premier Foods' claim the action "puts jobs at risk".
The union Unite says that 370 of the 490 employees are taking part in today's action. It comes after similar action on January 13.
Premier Foods said the action did not take in to account that many other workers at its other sites have not received any pay increase.
"This action undermines the progress made in negotiations and puts jobs at risk," a spokesman said.
"We have advised Unite that our offer will not be improved."
- 1 Person hit by train between Manea and Peterborough
- 2 Child shot in face by BB gun bought at summer festival
- 3 Hunt is on for arsonists after 5am car fire
- 4 Man fined £300 after being linked to fly-tipping
- 5 Man jealous of ex-wife's new relationship burnt down house
- 6 Critically endangered birds thrown a lifeline thanks to five-year project
- 7 Huntingdon and Peterborough hospitals bring back masks after rise in Covid numbers
- 8 Hospital staff pressures takes its toll on emergency care, inspectors find
- 9 Mayor in heated clash with East Cambs Council leader
- 10 Can you complete the Census 2021 map game?
A strike was also planned to take place on January 20 but was postponed for Unite to negotiate a deal with Premier. However, that offer was rejected last week.
The managers’ pay increases are based on their previous year’s performance, therefore the pay rise they were awarded in 2009 was actually for 2008.The managers are not receiving a pay rise this year so this means they are not getting anything for 2009.The union members need to listen to all the facts, not just the ones the Union have manipulated to get them to participate in this ridiculous, and unnecessary strike.BUZZ LIGHTYEAR
• To email your comments click here.