272 (Wisbech) Squadron saves Air Training Corps formation parade from cancellation
AN annual parade marking the formation of the Air Training Corps has been saved from cancellation at the 11th hour by 272 (Wisbech) Squadron. The Bedfordshire and Cambridgeshire Wing s northern sector parade was set to take place in Peterborough on Februa
AN annual parade marking the formation of the Air Training Corps has been saved from cancellation at the 11th hour by 272 (Wisbech) Squadron.
The Bedfordshire and Cambridgeshire Wing's northern sector parade was set to take place in Peterborough on February 7, but planned road works in the city put the event in doubt.
However, the Wisbech squadron held the parade two years ago and agreed to hold the event again at short notice.
The sector's eight member towns usually take it in turns to hold the parade.
You may also want to watch:
Flying Officer Anne Rose, 2nd Commander of 272 (Wisbech) Squadron, said: "We were not expected to hold the parade for another six years but because the roads are being dug up around Peterborough the other squadrons were asked if they could hold it.
"We were the only one able to hold it. Because we held it two years ago we know what we have to do to put on a good event.
- 1 Rough sleepers helped from tents pitched on private land
- 2 Frightened cancer patient with Covid relieved as hospital extend stay
- 3 Rapist on bail performed magic tricks for police and security guard
- 4 Cops 'cash and carry' raid nets 108 cannabis plants and £100,000
- 5 Man charged with drink driving, possession of a knife and cannabis
- 6 'Sorry for any delay' but we're getting there says vaccine rollout manager
- 7 Shoplifter jailed after stealing goods worth £1,600
- 8 Care home 'requires improvement' after unannounced visit
- 9 Suspected hare coursers get 4x4 stuck after crashing nose first in ditch
- 10 Coroner records Wisbech teenager’s death as suicide
"It means Wisbech has held the last two parades because last year's parade in Ramsey was cancelled when we had heavy snow."
As many as 200 cadets and staff will take part in the parade, which celebrates the formation of the ATC on February 5 1941.
The parade will leave Wisbech market place at about 1.30pm and head to St Peter's Church via High Street, Bridge Street, The Crescent and Market Street.
A church service takes place at 2pm, before an inspection in the market place at 4pm.
The squadrons taking part are 272 (Wisbech), 1220 (March), 51 (Orton), 115 (Peterborough), 511 (Ramsey), 1406 (Spalding), 2331 (St Ives) and 2430 (Holbeach).
• Areas affected by the parade will be closed to traffic from 11am-4pm.