Police respond to illegal parking concerns as they blitz Wisbech and hand out 22 fixed penalty notices in just one morning
- Credit: Archant
Police in Wisbech had the perfect response to social media pressure urging them to clamp down on illegal parking – they blitzed part of the town and issued 22 fixed penalty notices in a morning.
“Neighbourhood Policing Team officers have been out this morning monitoring the parking in Wisbech town,” said a spokesman.
“It came after we received a number of complaints from the public and businesses alike.
“This has resulted in 22 fixed penalty notices being issued to illegally parked vehicles.”
The spokesman added: “There are numerous free car parks in Wisbech so please use these and park legally and considerately”.
Their post – and photos of the offending cars – attracted an immediate response on their Facebook page.
“Well done Policing Fenland, this could do with being done on a daily basis for a few weeks though,” said one resident.
- 1 Drink-drivers banned off the roads after being caught in March and Wisbech
- 2 Princess Anne waves from Range Rover after landing in Wisbech
- 3 Sex offender case adjourned due to judge's concerns
- 4 Family pay tribute to brothers, 13 and 17, killed in horror BMW crash
- 5 Whistleblower shares story of bullying, fatigue and 'dangerous' hours at ambulance service
- 6 Met Office weather: Yellow storm and flood warning for East of England
- 7 MBR Acres releases image of graffiti message
- 8 Three brass instruments worth £20k stolen from church
- 9 Princess Anne visits Wisbech's new Citizens Advice Bureau on Cambs trip
- 10 Boys, 13 and 17 killed in horror BMW crash near A47 in Peterborough
Another wrote: “Wisbech hospital area could also do with it especially amount people park in disabled area that are clearly not disabled is dreadful. Those parking areas are there for a reason.”
One resident felt there were plenty of opportunities to take similar action across the town.
“North Brink needs sorting by the surgery; it’s a nightmare most days,” said another post.
But not all residents were happy who felt parking signs needed to be sorted out properly.
“I didn’t even know about the sign at the end of Hill Street and yes I was parked illegally but I didn’t know that until I looked,” said a resident.
“I’m just a bit upset as people have no respect for parking in disabled bays when they are not disabled.”
He admitted though he had it sent off payment for parking illegally.
“I have paid it like a good boy,” he added.