15-week jail sentence for inept shoplifter who failed to steal steak from Wisbech Asda store
AN inept shoplifter who dropped five packs of steak at a Wisbech supermarket doorway has been jailed for 15 weeks.
Christopher Taylor had stuffed more than �40 worth of steak into his jacket at the Asda store - but failed to make it outside before dropping the lot.
“He was detained and escorted to the security office,” prosecutor Andrea Fawcett told Fenland magistrates.
“He told police he had decided to steal before going into the supermarket, he had no means of paying.”
Taylor, 44, of Leafere Way, Leverington, admitted stealing the steak on October 2, and two charges of failing to attend court for sentencing on earlier occasions.
You may also want to watch:
“He was on a methadone prescription at the time, but is now off that,” solicitor Roger Glazebrook told the court.
“He says he did not receive appointments from the probation service, so did not attend court. He accepts it is inevitable he will get a prison sentence today.”
- 1 Pink Cadillacs, sports cars and a VW Beetle: Students arrive in style for their leavers' prom
- 2 'It could happen to anyone' - girlfriend of drowning victim speaks out
- 3 Replacing pub with houses ‘effective re-use' of site
- 4 Mother sends warning over 'disgraceful' care of six-year-old daughter
- 5 Fenland Council welcomes Covid-19 compliant free rock festival
- 6 Two drink drivers lose their licences
- 7 7 places to avoid the crowds in Cambs this summer
- 8 Hospitals temporarily reintroduce restrictions for visitors
- 9 Fens crime gang ‘boss’ jailed