15-week jail sentence for inept shoplifter who failed to steal steak from Wisbech Asda store
AN inept shoplifter who dropped five packs of steak at a Wisbech supermarket doorway has been jailed for 15 weeks.
Christopher Taylor had stuffed more than �40 worth of steak into his jacket at the Asda store - but failed to make it outside before dropping the lot.
“He was detained and escorted to the security office,” prosecutor Andrea Fawcett told Fenland magistrates.
“He told police he had decided to steal before going into the supermarket, he had no means of paying.”
Taylor, 44, of Leafere Way, Leverington, admitted stealing the steak on October 2, and two charges of failing to attend court for sentencing on earlier occasions.
You may also want to watch:
“He was on a methadone prescription at the time, but is now off that,” solicitor Roger Glazebrook told the court.
“He says he did not receive appointments from the probation service, so did not attend court. He accepts it is inevitable he will get a prison sentence today.”
- 1 Police swoop on Chatteris housing estate following machete threat
- 2 ‘You’re trespassing’ - What happened when we gave Matt Hancock QEH petition
- 3 'Horrific ordeal' of saleswoman tied up, restrained and sexually assaulted
- 4 Rainbow alliance set out their stall for Cambridgeshire
- 5 Dame Mary Archer defence witness in sexual abuse trial of judge's widow
- 6 Businessman slams council’s coronavirus grants in explosive live rant
- 7 £100k homes scrapped 'with almost immediate effect' says Mayor
- 8 Two men with links to Cottenham on 'most wanted' list
- 9 Murder suspect is victim's son
- 10 Fly-tipped sofa second reported incident this week