Youth drinking must be halted
I KNOW that anti-social behaviour can be a real problem for people across North East Cambridgeshire, and a lot of this is caused by teenage drinking. So I was really pleased that Labour s Home Secretary Jacqui Smith outlined tougher police powers and ca
I KNOW that anti-social behaviour can be a real problem for people across North East Cambridgeshire, and a lot of this is caused by teenage drinking.
So I was really pleased that Labour's Home Secretary Jacqui Smith outlined tougher police powers and called for parents and the drinks' industry to play their part in preventing young people drinking in public.
Police must have all the powers they need to make groups of young people drinking in public a thing of the past. A new campaign to confiscate alcohol from underage drinkers begins this month and lessons will be learned. At the same time we will continue to punish those few irresponsible retailers that flout the law by persistently selling to children.
Government must lead the way and I am determined they should use all the powers at their disposal to bring about change in North East Cambridgeshire.
You may also want to watch:
But in order to do this they also need the support of industry, enforcement authorities and communities. Everyone needs to meet their responsibilities to make a difference. And parents must play their part too. We will give parents whose children are drinking the support they need to change their behaviour.
- 1 Wisbech nightspot up for sale for £410,000
- 2 Worst road in Fenland? You'd better believe it
- 3 Missing dog found thanks to drone footage
- 4 HMO plans submitted for village pub
- 5 'Father' found guilty of murdering his teenage daughter
- 6 Nail bars and car washes targeted in modern day slavery checks
- 7 Brexit blamed for plans to flatten Friday Bridge camp and build 100 homes
- 8 Drink driver fleeing traffic cops overturns before being arrested
- 9 'Every number is a lost life' - Worst Covid affected care homes in Cambs
- 10 'It could happen to anyone' - girlfriend of drowning victim speaks out
Labour Parliamentary Spokesperson for North East Cambridgeshire