You missed the point about Fenland finance chief Mat Taylor
LAST week s editorial about Fenland District Council hiring its former full-time finance chief to look for savings in council expenditure made a valid argument, but missed the salient point. Yes, employing the temporary services of Mat Taylor is surely li
LAST week's editorial about Fenland District Council hiring its former full-time finance chief to look for savings in council expenditure made a valid argument, but missed the salient point.
Yes, employing the temporary services of Mat Taylor is surely likely to be better value for money than hiring an external firm of consultants; for one thing Mr Taylor must have a 'head start' in that he is closely acquainted with FDC and its workings.
But no, the Chief Executive is wrong if he is asserting that the employment of staff has nothing to do with councillors.
The council members are supposed to be the decision makers. Consider the expression 'Civil Servants'. It is the councillors' duty to apply 'due diligence' to monitoring FDC's expenditure, and as a matter of fact if a council spends outwith its remit then it is the council members that are surcharged and who have to pay back the overspent money to the council, not the officers.
You may also want to watch:
And judging from your further reports, the new portfolio holder for Finance has a very different perspective on the matter than that held by officers. If even the finance portfolio holder doesn't know what's going on, what hope is there?
A new slogan has recently appeared on district council letters; "100 per cent people driven". Does this proclaim the situation that I've long suspected exists, that FDC is lead by officers, not members?
- 1 Van crashes into pram, killing five month old baby
- 2 The Chase contestant from Cambs labelled ‘most stunning’ in show’s history
- 3 Dad's emotional tribute after baby son dies in A10 horror crash
- 4 Fit of the Fens challenge to raise cash for the homeless
- 5 'Chopper was a hard worker and put himself about' - tribute to ex-Fenmen star
- 6 Crash boy's mum says he's 'badly shaken but OK'
- 7 'Eccentric traveller' to ride Penny-Farthing from London to Paris
- 8 Council chief executive accused of 'indifference' over Covid-19 response
- 9 Clean, green and affordable: choose market leader Nissan to start your electric motoring journey
- 10 Covid-19 numbers in Fenland higher than rest of county
Come on Cllr Harper, now is the time to demonstrate your leadership credentials, before the former leader and new finance supremo starts snapping at your heels.
CLLR CHRIS HOWES