WISBECH: Town will become a ghost town when migrants leave.
A FENLAND District Council survey shows that there around 600 properties in the Wisbech area which are Houses in Multiple Occupancy (HMOs). These HMOs are mainly occupied by migrant workers who have come to work in Wisbech mostly from Poland. However, o
A FENLAND District Council survey shows that there around 600 properties in the Wisbech area which are 'Houses in Multiple Occupancy' (HMOs).
These HMOs are mainly occupied by migrant workers who have come to work in Wisbech mostly from Poland.
However, over the last year, the value of the British pound in relation to Poland's currency, the Zloty, has fallen by around 45per cent.
This means that it is now a lot less worthwhile for migrant workers from Poland to continue working in Britain when their earnings are converted into the Zloty.
You may also want to watch:
As the British pound continues to fall in relation to Poland's Zloty, it is likely that most Polish migrant workers living in Wisbech will return home to Poland.
When the 600 former HMOs are all suddenly put on the market, Wisbech will become a ghost town.
- 1 Rings End A141 closed after three vehicle collision
- 2 Pictures show cars - including Tesco delivery vans - queued at fuel pumps
- 3 Former mayor Aigars Balsevics must wait for verdict on pub fate
- 4 Former mayor begins court battle to retain pub
- 5 47-home estate 'beggars belief' says councillor
- 6 Showcase status for Academy
- 7 Motorcyclist dies in A141 crash
- 8 Crisis, what crisis? Panic buying at the pumps in Fenland
- 9 Drug free, drink free BMW driver crashes into wall
- 10 ‘From street dog to show champion’ - how Toby rescued his family