Wisbech Market Place saga is finally to be resolved
AT last it seems like the long running saga of our Market Place, which I have on more than one occasion publicly described to Fenland councillors as second only in longevity to The Mouse Trap , is to be resolved. I well remember that when I was Mayor in
AT last it seems like the long running saga of our Market Place, which I have on more than one occasion publicly described to Fenland councillors as second only in longevity to 'The Mouse Trap', is to be resolved.
I well remember that when I was Mayor in 2001-2 I felt so strongly about the potentially-dangerous daily chaos that existed in the Market Place that I called a public meeting.
I explained to a packed audience that I was not personally trying to tell those in authority what to do, but I just wanted all concerned (including Fenland District Council, Wisbech Town Council, Cambridgeshire County Council, our MP and police) to get together and sort out the problem, particularly in view of the ever-increasing daily confrontations between motorists and pedestrians.
Now some 10 years later a scheme has been agreed upon, and I for one am delighted and would personally congratulate the AJC on reaching what I too consider to be the better of the two final options.
You may also want to watch:
Not only did Wisbech Town Council vote unanimously for option two but it was basically the innovative scheme that they put forward in the first place!
And most of the credit for this must go to its 'designer', former town councillor Anne Carlisle, who has been sorely missed since she left the Fenland and Town Council Chambers.
- 1 The Chase contestant from Cambs labelled ‘most stunning’ in show’s history
- 2 Van crashes into pram, killing five month old baby
- 3 Clean, green and affordable: choose market leader Nissan to start your electric motoring journey
- 4 Fit of the Fens challenge to raise cash for the homeless
- 5 Dad's emotional tribute after baby son dies in A10 horror crash
- 6 Crash boy's mum says he's 'badly shaken but OK'
- 7 Driver peers out of Range Rover while trying to cross flooded Welney Wash
- 8 Go-kart star Vinnie shines in Europe ahead of new campaign
- 9 'Chopper was a hard worker and put himself about' - tribute to ex-Fenmen star
- 10 ‘It needs to get sorted’ - heartfelt plea after flood nightmare
CLLR ROGER GREEN
NB: A story about the Market Place ran on our website earlier this week.
Roger Green in the Market Place at Wisbech.3070BP17