WISBECH: Bowthorpe Centre relocation and making groups pay for hire is ""privatisation
FOR many years Wisbech has been a leader in day care services for those with mental health problems. The Bowthorpe Centre has for a long time offered Wisbech sufferers a refuge and a safe haven from a society which is often uncaring and dismissive of the
FOR many years Wisbech has been a leader in day care services for those with mental health problems.
The Bowthorpe Centre has for a long time offered Wisbech sufferers a refuge and a safe haven from a society which is often uncaring and dismissive of them.
Now it is under threat.
A move the North Cambs Hospital site has been used as an opportunity to introduce wholesale changes, along with government directives to move mental health sufferers out into the community.
Accordingly, drop-in times have been severely cut and groups told to locate to other premises.
Now we learn that that some groups may have to pay for the hire of new premises. This is nothing less than the PRIVATISATION of mental health serves in Wisbech - instead of being a leader in the field, we are going backwards.
- 1 Family run tea room closes after 10 years in business
- 2 Man in 50s dies after medical incident in field
- 3 Tributes paid to 'lovely' teenager as police continue murder probe
- 4 Man in 30s dead, two arrested on suspicion of murder in Norfolk town
- 5 Two escape unhurt after car plunges into river
- 6 Café holds 'heavy heart' as it announces closure
- 7 Murder probe sends 'shockwaves' through community
- 8 Murder inquiry as teenage woman dies after car crash in Norfolk village
- 9 Cigarette butt in stolen car puts burglar behind bars
- 10 Murder suspects continue to be quizzed as detectives seek CCTV
These people do not want to be 'returned' to the community, the Bowthorpe is their community.
Future generations of Wisbech sufferers will be denied the compassionate, caring services provided in the past.
All in the name of 'back to the community' - the very community which has misunderstood and failed to help mental health sufferers in the first place.
A Bowthorpe member/user