WISBECH: Bowthorpe Centre relocation and making groups pay for hire is ""privatisation
FOR many years Wisbech has been a leader in day care services for those with mental health problems. The Bowthorpe Centre has for a long time offered Wisbech sufferers a refuge and a safe haven from a society which is often uncaring and dismissive of the
FOR many years Wisbech has been a leader in day care services for those with mental health problems.
The Bowthorpe Centre has for a long time offered Wisbech sufferers a refuge and a safe haven from a society which is often uncaring and dismissive of them.
Now it is under threat.
A move the North Cambs Hospital site has been used as an opportunity to introduce wholesale changes, along with government directives to move mental health sufferers out into the community.
Accordingly, drop-in times have been severely cut and groups told to locate to other premises.
Now we learn that that some groups may have to pay for the hire of new premises. This is nothing less than the PRIVATISATION of mental health serves in Wisbech - instead of being a leader in the field, we are going backwards.
- 1 Town road to remain closed following serious crash
- 2 Man, 28, dies after truck and lorries crash on A47
- 3 Police 'increasingly concerned' for man missing since early hours yesterday
- 4 Product sold at Tesco recalled due to risk of disease-causing bacteria
- 5 £150,000 splashpad to open in Wisbech
- 6 WEIRD NORFOLK: The local shoe shop haunted by a 'one-legged poltergeist'
- 7 'Giving a child the chance to be a child lifts my heart’ says foster carer
- 8 OPINION: Jettison inertia and save money
- 9 Man and teenager jailed after carrying out ‘horrific’ homophobic attack
- 10 Arson causes fire to rip through derelict building
These people do not want to be 'returned' to the community, the Bowthorpe is their community.
Future generations of Wisbech sufferers will be denied the compassionate, caring services provided in the past.
All in the name of 'back to the community' - the very community which has misunderstood and failed to help mental health sufferers in the first place.
A Bowthorpe member/user