Why no council gritters on Wisbech roads?
I AM sure you have had many letters regarding this item so I am just adding my point of view as well. For three days so far from December 19, Wisbech has been covered in a blanket of ice and snow. For three days it has been an absolute nightmare trying t
I AM sure you have had many letters regarding this item so I am just adding my point of view as well.
For three days so far from December 19, Wisbech has been covered in a blanket of ice and snow.
For three days it has been an absolute nightmare trying to drive down Lynn Road as well as Churchill Road and Cromwell Road.
For three days there appears to have been no sign of the council providing any gritters for the roads in question.
You may also want to watch:
Have the council made such cutbacks that gritting and overall safety are now not on their list of priorities?
The weather forecast gave plenty of warning yet it appears that nothing has been done to the main roads in and out of Wisbech. Can someone please tell us what is going on?
- 1 Empty Wisbech shop earmarked for slots and bingo
- 2 Suspected paedophile, 61, arrested in front of thousands on live video
- 3 Success after six year battle to get 21 homes approved on factory site
- 4 Matilda, 9, sold her dolls to raise money for charity close to her heart
- 5 Letters: Mayor's tribute, poem for a pigeon and letter release refusal
- 6 Three derelict cottages ‘would make an ideal renovation project’
- 7 Ex-glider pilot and education pioneer dies
- 8 Hundreds go bargain hunting in the sun at first car boot since lockdown
- 9 Man, 53, found in 'possession of knife' in Queensgate Shopping Centre
- 10 100 mile charity walk inspired by mum's breast cancer recovery
The County Council gritters have been out 14 times since Thursday, including these roads.
Staff have been working around the clock in freezing conditions. We have not cut back the amount of rocksalt we have, however, grit on its own does not melt snow and ice and requires vehicles going over it to melt it. With so much snow and freezing conditions the grit is on the roads but will not clear unless traffic goes over it.