Why Conservatives did not contest the Walpoles
A NUMBER of people have been asking why the Conservatives did not put forward a candidate for the Walpoles Ward in yesterday s council elections. Although we were contesting 61 out of the 62 seats on the Borough Council of King s Lynn and West Norfolk (in
A NUMBER of people have been asking why the Conservatives did not put forward a candidate for the Walpoles Ward in yesterday's council elections.
Although we were contesting 61 out of the 62 seats on the Borough Council of King's Lynn and West Norfolk (in stark contrast to the Labour Party who were contesting only 27 seats), we decided not to put a candidate up against Councillor Ann Clery-Fox, the sitting Lib-Dem councillor for the Walpoles, for the following reasons.
First of all, she was serving as the mayor of the borough and has to observe strict political neutrality. Although there are examples of the mayor's ward being contested in the past, it is always very difficult for the sitting mayor to carry out the necessary civic duties while running a political campaign.
The second reason we did not contest Ann's ward is that she has made it clear she has always supported me 100 per cent, and will continue to do so in the future.
You may also want to watch:
Ann proved to be one of the most outstanding borough mayors in recent years. Everyone who has come into contact with her has been immensely impressed with her dedication and ability. Obviously, my constituents in the Walpoles are very fortunate in having someone of her calibre to represent them.
HENRY BELLINGHAM MP
- 1 Five fire crews called to building blaze
- 2 Cheers to that! Businesses reopen as lockdown restrictions ease
- 3 Ladies mark return from lockdown with eight-goal thriller
- 4 'I lived in the woods' - Suspected murder victim reveals five year ordeal
- 5 New offering can help 'encourage more participation in angling'
- 6 BBC drama Casualty storyline to feature pelvic mesh implant scandal
- 7 Runners caught in their 'runderwear' for Three Counties
- 8 All you need to know about the new Vauxhall Mokka
- 9 ‘The Duke of Edinburgh’s security team wouldn’t let him ride our tandem...’
- 10 Videographer captures lifeboat hoist at town boatyard
House of Commons