WHITTLESEY: I wish my pension could go up as much as the parish council's tax precept
LIKE many other taxpayers in Fenland I received my council tax bill for the coming year, earlier this week. I felt relieved that the percentage rises over last year were mostly around four per cent. With continually higher costs in fuel and food, wage fre
LIKE many other taxpayers in Fenland I received my council tax bill for the coming year, earlier this week.
I felt relieved that the percentage rises over last year were mostly around four per cent. With continually higher costs in fuel and food, wage freezes and rising unemployment, at least Fenland council has tried to keep costs down.
However I do wonder what planet the members of Whittlesey Parish Council are living on.
Their spending goes up by nearly 31 per cent following an increase by the same Council last year of 17.6 per cent.
You may also want to watch:
Over a 50 per cent increase since 2007. I wish my pension had gone up by as much. Looking at the figures for all the 16 Parish Councils in the area, over half of them are either charging less or roughly the same as last year. Whittlesey is way out in front with its swingeing increase of 30.8per cent
The sooner an election is due, so we can ditch the Councillors who spend the hard earned money of the long suffering residents of the Whittlesey Parish with such gay abandon, the better.
- 1 Suspected drink-driver, 41, arrested after tip-off from resident
- 2 Man escapes ‘shocking case’ of modern slavery at hand car wash
- 3 Success after six year battle to get 21 homes approved on factory site
- 4 Share your views on our newspaper via reader survey
- 5 ‘You now have s**t on your face,’ objector to planning scheme told
- 6 Woman ‘drink driver’ arrested for having no licence or insurance
- 7 Police thank eagle-eyed motorist for being ‘right place, right time’
- 8 WATCH: Air ambulances can't land after hospital helipad wrecked by US aircraft
- 9 Man who died in road crash is named
- 10 Suspected paedophile, 61, arrested in live Facebook video stream
F J HASLOCK