Wheelers Building set for transformation as Fenland planners say scheme is acceptable
THREE offices and 10 flats are set to be created in Wisbech town centre despite fears of inadequate parking and dangerous traffic access.
Plans to convert part of the three-storey ‘Wheelers Building’, in North Street, are set to be approved by Fenland District Council’s planning committee when it meets next Wednesday.
Owners Gemdome Ltd want to convert part of the existing offices on the first and second floors into flats, and transform garages and rear storage areas into offices.
Six of the flats will be one-bedroom with no parking provision, three will be two-bedroom with one garage space each and one will be one-bedroom with a garage space. There will also be storage for eight bicycles.
The three office units on the ground floor will be 80, 69 and 50sq metres.
You may also want to watch:
Wisbech Town Council recommends refusal because councillors fear the scheme “is a massive overdevelopment of the site”. They sited parking and bin provision and a potentially dangerous access as concerns.
However, a report to councillors says: “Whilst the proposal has a shortfall of car parking spaces against the council’s adopted standards, this is mitigated by the particular site characteristics, its sustainable location and the inclusion of a large amount of cycle parking in the scheme.”
- 1 Van crashes into pram, killing five month old baby
- 2 Covid-19 numbers in Fenland higher than rest of county
- 3 Crash boy's mum says he's 'badly shaken but OK'
- 4 Homeless champion delighted as young couple finally have shelter
- 5 Council books seven hotels and guest houses for homeless
- 6 Coroner records Wisbech teenager’s death as suicide
- 7 Rapist on bail performed magic tricks for police and security guard
- 8 High life ends for Bentley owning drug dealer
- 9 Cops 'cash and carry' raid nets 108 cannabis plants and £100,000
- 10 Care home 'requires improvement' after unannounced visit
Planning agents Peter Humphrey Associates said recent years have “seen resurgence in the prosperity of Wisbech and the surrounding area, with extensive commercial and residential developments emerging – in particular the Nene Waterfront development.
“The site is located in the heart of Wisbech Town Centre which has a host of local amenities including pubs, schools, public transports, shopping and employment and it will be sustainable.”