What will the Russians make of us?
A WEEK today we will be hosting a visit from three Russian journalists who have chosen this of all days to pay a visit to the Fens. We could, of course, take them for a lunch of pizza and chips at Bar 23 in March, or offer them a guided tour of Elgoods br
A WEEK today we will be hosting a visit from three Russian journalists who have chosen this of all days to pay a visit to the Fens.
We could, of course, take them for a lunch of pizza and chips at Bar 23 in March, or offer them a guided tour of Elgoods brewery or the Nene Waterfront development in Wisbech.
Instead we thought an altogether more illuminating day might be spent watching votes being counted at Fenland Hall for the district, town and parish council elections.
They will, of course, be able to make such comparisons as they see fit with their own democratic processes, and wonder, no doubt, at not only how few in number are those who bother to vote but stare incredulously at the many candidates elected unopposed.
You may also want to watch:
From a society where, only quite recently, many fought bitterly and for sometime to establish the semblance of a democratic system, thanks in no small part to Boris Yeltsin who died this week, our visitors will doubtles be astonished at the disinterest shown by the British electorate.
But whether they find reassurance or hilarity in our system, it's the only one we've got and it seems to work (just).
- 1 Lack of public transport blamed for collapse of £10.5m training centre
- 2 Man confronted in live stream cleared of all sex abuse allegations
- 3 Crash driver four and a half times over drink drive limit
- 4 Body found in Wisbech road
- 5 ‘High risk’ paedophile had indecent images of children on his phone
- 6 Mayor opens Wisbech community hub
- 7 Top Cabinet post for NE Cambs MP Steve Barclay
- 8 Family remembers 'cheeky, friendly and well-liked' mechanic
- 9 Did you bite your husband's leg? ‘No, he knocked all my teeth out- I could not bite his leg’
- 10 Co-op grocery delivery robots are coming to Cambridgeshire
For the record, in case you are so tempted, elections for Fenland Council are being held in 22 of the 40 wards. Everyone else has a bye.