Time to ban all parking
I HAVE lived in Wisbech for 13 years and the argument over Wisbech Market Place parking seems to have been ongoing since then. To me the solution is simple and I really cannot see what there is to debate or argue about. Ban all parking from the Market Pl
I HAVE lived in Wisbech for 13 years and the argument over Wisbech Market Place parking seems to have been ongoing since then.
To me the solution is simple and I really cannot see what there is to debate or argue about. Ban all parking from the Market Place. It should be pedestrianised.
How on earth do all the blue badge holders and the elderly manage in bigger towns and cities with fully pedestrianised shopping centres (Peterborough and King's Lynn for example)?
Just because people hold blue badges does not mean they cannot mobilise. It's not as if Wisbech is vast with car parks situated miles from the shops.
I was in town this Saturday, and it is an accident waiting to happen. Cars parked anywhere.
Displaying a blue badge does not entitle disabled people to park wherever they choose. They should still park in the bays allocated. If they are full, tough. Go and find somewhere else to park like all other drivers do.
- 1 Breakup and burglary! Couple's chaos after £101m win on Euromillions
- 2 Man, 28, and boy, 15, arrested after major A1101 crash in Wisbech
- 3 Recap: Main road through Wisbech town centre shut after serious crash
- 4 Knife-wielding teen jailed after week-long crime spree in Wisbech
- 5 Inside Wisbech's new 'Get Out' escape room
- 6 Village road closing for five weeks for temporary barrier installation
- 7 Middlesbrough couple found in Cambs with drugs worth around £37,000
- 8 Boys, 13 and 17 killed in horror BMW crash near A47 in Peterborough
- 9 Recap: A47 shut near Wisbech and King's Lynn after evening crash
- 10 Family pay tribute to brothers, 13 and 17, killed in horror BMW crash
When you actually watch people coming out of these vehicles with their blue badges, one has to question why some of them have them, because some do not look in any way limited with mobility.
The disabled bays in the Market Place should be withdrawn, and the square closed to cars. There is no point giving options of parking at certain times or days, and pussy footing around, because people will abuse it as they do now. There are sufficient disabled bays by Gibbs shoes, and in the proper car parks.
Put bollards up that are retractable for emergency vehicles and delivery vehicles only. Delivery vehicles are another issue and should be debated, to decide on best delivery times when the town is least busy.