THOMAS CLARKSON: Latest show, <i>The Sound of Music</i>, was a credit to the school
AS the Mayor of Wisbech I am privileged to attend a vast array of functions, all of which are exceptional, and all of which remind me how much Wisbech owes to the people who devote their time to creating wonderful events for us all to enjoy. One such per
AS the Mayor of Wisbech I am privileged to attend a vast array of functions, all of which are exceptional, and all of which remind me how much Wisbech owes to the people who devote their time to creating wonderful events for us all to enjoy.
One such person is Lisa Tarsitano, who is the Head of Performing Arts at Thomas Clarkson Community College, and whose team, and pupils put on such a wonderful performance of The Sound of Music that it is still ringing in my ears.
If the Opera company that I am bringing to Wisbech on July 25, to perform at St Peter's and St Paul's Church, do half as well, it will be well worth the �15 for the tickets.
The youngsters were exceptional. They took us through what is after all a very complex piece of work, seemingly without effort, and they must have worked really hard at rehearsals to get it just right.
You may also want to watch:
The staging and lighting also did them proud, and the whole effect was breathtaking in some scenes. The whole performance was a real credit to the school.
I am pleased to say that several members of our Youth Council attend Thomas Clarkson. And I am pleased to say that Wisbech Town Council and Wisbech Youth Council are forging even stronger links with the Community College.
- 1 Suspected paedophile, 61, arrested in front of thousands on live video
- 2 Empty Wisbech shop earmarked for slots and bingo
- 3 Success after six year battle to get 21 homes approved on factory site
- 4 Three derelict cottages ‘would make an ideal renovation project’
- 5 Hundreds go bargain hunting in the sun at first car boot since lockdown
- 6 Matilda, 9, sold her dolls to raise money for charity close to her heart
- 7 Letters: Mayor's tribute, poem for a pigeon and letter release refusal
- 8 Ex-glider pilot and education pioneer dies
- 9 100 mile charity walk inspired by mum's breast cancer recovery
- 10 Room to improve as villagers fail to cope with rampant visitors
Following a proposal from the Youth Council several months ago, Wisbech Town Council are sponsoring a fabulous musical weekend at Thomas Clarkson on August 1 and 2- with rock music for the youngsters on the Saturday, and a full range of multi-cultural music on the Sunday.
Entrance is free, and the festival will be at the sports complex off Weasenham Lane.
In the meantime - if your readers would like tickets for my opera evening at the church on July 25, would they please contact 01945 461333.
R YVONNE LAWRENCE
Mayor of Wisbech