THOMAS CLARKSON: Latest show, <i>The Sound of Music</i>, was a credit to the school
AS the Mayor of Wisbech I am privileged to attend a vast array of functions, all of which are exceptional, and all of which remind me how much Wisbech owes to the people who devote their time to creating wonderful events for us all to enjoy. One such per
AS the Mayor of Wisbech I am privileged to attend a vast array of functions, all of which are exceptional, and all of which remind me how much Wisbech owes to the people who devote their time to creating wonderful events for us all to enjoy.
One such person is Lisa Tarsitano, who is the Head of Performing Arts at Thomas Clarkson Community College, and whose team, and pupils put on such a wonderful performance of The Sound of Music that it is still ringing in my ears.
If the Opera company that I am bringing to Wisbech on July 25, to perform at St Peter's and St Paul's Church, do half as well, it will be well worth the �15 for the tickets.
The youngsters were exceptional. They took us through what is after all a very complex piece of work, seemingly without effort, and they must have worked really hard at rehearsals to get it just right.
You may also want to watch:
The staging and lighting also did them proud, and the whole effect was breathtaking in some scenes. The whole performance was a real credit to the school.
I am pleased to say that several members of our Youth Council attend Thomas Clarkson. And I am pleased to say that Wisbech Town Council and Wisbech Youth Council are forging even stronger links with the Community College.
- 1 Child rapist, 57, behind bars for sexually abusing three children
- 2 'We will improve' believes new Wisbech St Mary boss after opening defeat
- 3 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 4 Work to improve A47 between March and Peterborough begins
- 5 Police pursuit of suspected hare coursers ends in success
- 6 Illegal poachers stopped in their tracks by eagle-eyed public
- 7 Dramatic pictures catch harvester on fire in 4am blaze
- 8 Lisa Leader makes it to Germany for life prolonging treatment
- 9 Envar deny responsibility for county's fly invasion
- 10 Citizens Advice Rural Cambs open doors to new office
Following a proposal from the Youth Council several months ago, Wisbech Town Council are sponsoring a fabulous musical weekend at Thomas Clarkson on August 1 and 2- with rock music for the youngsters on the Saturday, and a full range of multi-cultural music on the Sunday.
Entrance is free, and the festival will be at the sports complex off Weasenham Lane.
In the meantime - if your readers would like tickets for my opera evening at the church on July 25, would they please contact 01945 461333.
R YVONNE LAWRENCE
Mayor of Wisbech