They came, they saw, and they found 42 attractions to tempt you to visit Wisbech - here’s some of them
- Credit: Archant
It’s the bible of international jet setters and will recommend – or advise you to avoid – some of the world’s most expensive hotels and restaurant but now TripAdvisor has turned its attention to Wisbech.
It has come up with a list of the 42 top attractions that Wisbech to offer – though whether the 41st attraction ‘taxis and shuttles’ ought to have been on the list at all could be a matter of debate.
Play to Day at Guyhirn also gets star billing – featuring at No 32 on the TripAdvisor list, one ahead of the Horsefair shopping centre “with its good range of shops”.
Number 1, of course, is Peckover House “with its guided tours and colourful gardens” which also earns a certificate of excellent by TripAdvisor.
Hot on its heels is the Luxe and Light cinemas, occupying joint second, whilst in the top 10 is also to be found Octavia Hill, Walpole Water Garden and Elgood’s brewery.
You may also want to watch:
Some of the other attractions to satisfy TripAdvisor include Clarkson Memorial (12) and Wisbech war memorial (13) and the Angles Theatre at 14, described as a ‘little gem’.
Fenland Council get praise for the yacht harbour (15) a ‘place to relax’ says TripAdvisor and three places ahead of Wisbech Castle accompanied by the curious explanation of “sorry for the low score”.
- 1 Fenland Council loses fight to stop incinerator survey
- 2 Grandmother of drowning victim calls for Bawsey Pits closure
- 3 800 sign in 24 hours to close lake where Radek drowned
- 4 Man in court after more than £656k of cannabis seized
- 5 Man arrested after cannabis factory found after house blaze
- 6 Fire crews free driver trapped in overturned lorry
- 7 Wife's tribute to husband killed in B1101 Elm Road crash
- 8 14-year-old footballer's 'dream' comes true after securing England trial
- 9 Friends pay tribute to ‘great young lad’ who drowned at Bawsey Pits
- 10 Major youth football tournament cancelled for second year running
Leverington Road cemetery pocket park is “an interesting historical cemetery” and gets to No 20 in the list.
Wisbech Rugby Union FC gets to 22nd just ahead of the council chamber “mind the steps” but behind Wisbech Town FC (17) and the cricket club (28) and squash club (42) both get a mention.
At 27 is the Wisbech Tourism and Information Centre although it may start to slip down the list after being described as having “a poor level of brochures and assistance”.
Wisbech library is the town’s 8th top attraction with “very friendly good staff” ensuring its appeal for some time to come.
The Wisbech Institute and Clock Tower may be disappointed by their listing at No 21 but will no doubt provide the incentive to do better next time.
My favourite is at No 35 where the Market Place revels in continuing its appeal for tourists – maybe because of the time spent searching there for somewhere to park! “The heart of Wisbech” said one TripAdvisor reviewer, clearly visiting the town on a day when police had put away their parking tickets.