So much to offer visitors
AS we move into 2008, may I, on behalf of The Wisbech Society, wish all residents of the town and district a happy, healthy and prosperous New Year. May I also take this opportunity to thank all organisations and individuals in Wisbech who worked so hard
AS we move into 2008, may I, on behalf of The Wisbech Society, wish all residents of the town and district a happy, healthy and prosperous New Year.
May I also take this opportunity to thank all organisations and individuals in Wisbech who worked so hard to mark the bicentenary of the passing of the Slave Trade Act 1807, and made sure the whole nation was made aware of the outstanding work of Thomas Clarkson and his brother John.
Throughout the past 12 months, the commemoration of Wisbech's most famous son has brought many visitors to the town.
Wisbech and Fenland Museum and Peckover House in particular have seen increased visitor figures. There remains a permanent exhibition concerning the Clarksons at the Museum.
You may also want to watch:
I very much hope, therefore, that the events of 2007 will have demonstrated how much Wisbech has to offer visitors, and that in the coming months we will have the pleasure of welcoming many more.
In 2008, Wisbech Society, working with Fenland District Council and English Heritage, hopes to see work starting on the refurbishment of the Clarkson Memorial, an outstanding Victorian monument in its own right.
- 1 Wisbech nightspot up for sale for £410,000
- 2 Worst road in Fenland? You'd better believe it
- 3 Missing dog found thanks to drone footage
- 4 HMO plans submitted for village pub
- 5 Nail bars and car washes targeted in modern day slavery checks
- 6 'Father' found guilty of murdering his teenage daughter
- 7 Brexit blamed for plans to flatten Friday Bridge camp and build 100 homes
- 8 Drink driver fleeing traffic cops overturns before being arrested
- 9 'Every number is a lost life' - Worst Covid affected care homes in Cambs
- 10 Equipment worth £6,000 stolen from farm during overnight break-in
Chairman, Wisbech Society
Wisbech St Mary