ROSE FAIR: Janet and her team - and the strawberries - are ready for another year
PERFECT weather for growing strawberries will mean visitors tucking into the cream teas at this weekend s Rose Fair are in for a real treat. Janet Stevens is gearing up with her team to serve 750 lunches and teas during the five-days. Sarah Barwell, nurse
PERFECT weather for growing strawberries will mean visitors tucking into the cream teas at next weekend's Rose Fair are in for a real treat.
Janet Stevens is gearing up with her team to serve 750 lunches and teas during the five-days.
Sarah Barwell, nursery manager of Meltons of Emneth, who are supplying the strawberries, said: "The strawberries for the Rose Fair are Elsanta which have a lovely sweet flavour and are very juicy.
"We have had a lot of wet weather in previous years so this year everyone is happy and the strawberries look great."
You may also want to watch:
Mrs Stevens said the Thursday looks to be the busiest day for cream teas with 98lbs on order, the following day a further 47lbs will be served and more on the Saturday.
Mrs Stevens, 67, has been in charge of the catering for 35 years and she also bakes hundreds of scones for the event.
- 1 Businesses across the Fens reopen as lockdown restrictions ease
- 2 New offering can help 'encourage more participation in angling'
- 3 'I lived in the woods' - Suspected murder victim reveals five year ordeal
- 4 ‘The Duke of Edinburgh’s security team wouldn’t let him ride our tandem...’
- 5 Council to report 'accumulations of tributes' to police
- 6 Videographer captures lifeboat hoist at town boatyard
- 7 Spectators to be 'kept well away' when 85m chimneys come down
- 8 Fenland line-up for Cambridgeshire elections
- 9 Fully-funded place at grammar school's sixth form available for one pupil
- 10 All you need to know about the new Vauxhall Mokka