ROSE FAIR: Janet and her team - and the strawberries - are ready for another year
PERFECT weather for growing strawberries will mean visitors tucking into the cream teas at this weekend s Rose Fair are in for a real treat. Janet Stevens is gearing up with her team to serve 750 lunches and teas during the five-days. Sarah Barwell, nurse
PERFECT weather for growing strawberries will mean visitors tucking into the cream teas at next weekend's Rose Fair are in for a real treat.
Janet Stevens is gearing up with her team to serve 750 lunches and teas during the five-days.
Sarah Barwell, nursery manager of Meltons of Emneth, who are supplying the strawberries, said: "The strawberries for the Rose Fair are Elsanta which have a lovely sweet flavour and are very juicy.
"We have had a lot of wet weather in previous years so this year everyone is happy and the strawberries look great."
You may also want to watch:
Mrs Stevens said the Thursday looks to be the busiest day for cream teas with 98lbs on order, the following day a further 47lbs will be served and more on the Saturday.
Mrs Stevens, 67, has been in charge of the catering for 35 years and she also bakes hundreds of scones for the event.
- 1 Van crashes into pram, killing five month old baby
- 2 Dad's emotional tribute after baby son dies in A10 horror crash
- 3 Covid-19 numbers in Fenland higher than rest of county
- 4 Crash boy's mum says he's 'badly shaken but OK'
- 5 Homeless champion delighted as young couple finally have shelter
- 6 Stolen American-style fridge was lifted over 10ft security fence
- 7 First large-scale Cambs Covid-19 vaccination centres open this week
- 8 Council books seven hotels and guest houses for homeless
- 9 Ambulance charity first in East to transfer Covid-19 patients by air
- 10 Coroner records Wisbech teenager’s death as suicide