Pedestrianise Market Place
THE Wisbech Branch of the Labour Party is greatly concerned at the continuing farce over the Market Place and Fenland District Council s inability to come to a decision about pedestrianisation. There have been more than sufficient consultations on the Mar
THE Wisbech Branch of the Labour Party is greatly concerned at the continuing farce over the Market Place and Fenland District Council's inability to come to a decision about pedestrianisation.
There have been more than sufficient consultations on the Market Place and we consider there is no reason for Fenland Council to continue to duck the issue.
When previous consultations on the Market Place were held the public's view was that they wanted proper pedestrianisation.
At that time, in January 2003, Conservative Town Councillors voted for the return of through traffic but in March 2003, after hearing the views of the public, agreed to withdraw this proposal.
You may also want to watch:
In August 2003, after local government elections had taken place, Conservative Town Councillors once again voted for the return of through traffic to the Market Place and High Street. Obviously as the elections had taken place the views of the public were no longer of any concern to Conservative Councillors.
The Wisbech branch of the Labour Party and its Councillors at both Fenland District and Wisbech Town have, and do, oppose the reckless and dangerous Wisbech Conservatives proposal for the return through traffic to our town centre.
- 1 Pervert filmed himself having sex with girl, 14, and then shared video online
- 2 Burger entrepreneur excited to reopen as lockdown eases on May 17
- 3 'Disbelief’ for disability centre after staff member’s scooter is stolen
- 4 Prison sentence for man who brutally attacked his partner
- 5 MP Steve Barclay visits £14m A47 Guyhirn roundabout upgrade works
- 6 ‘This is not a puppy farm’ says breeder in response to planning objections
- 7 Class B drug factory discovered following British Gas search warrant
- 8 Man arrested on suspicion of murder after death of woman in her 70s
- 9 Defeated Tory hits out at ‘toxic brand’ and says ‘James Palmer had it coming’
- 10 Two boys, aged 12 and 14, arrested after 3am service station burglary
We call upon Fenland District Council to come to a decision now to scrap the Conservative-controlled Wisbech Town Council proposal and without further delay to introduce a full properly-controlled and enforced pedestrianisation system for the Market Place which takes account of business access and delivery needs, and to make adequate provision for disabled parking in appropriate areas.
Further, with local government elections due to take place this year, we urge voters to question the stance Conservative candidates have on this matter as in the past the wishes of the electorate do not appear to have been uppermost in their minds once they have been elected.
North-East Cambs Labour Party