My surprise at the appointment of Councillor Melton
THE Milky Bar Kid in charge of finance at FDC? You ve got to be joking. I wouldn t trust him with our Grandson s piggy bank. This is the man who, when he was Leader, forced through one of the biggest council tax rises in the country at something like 14
THE 'Milky Bar Kid' in charge of finance at FDC? You've got to be joking. I wouldn't trust him with our Grandson's piggy bank.
This is the man who, when he was Leader, forced through one of the biggest council tax rises in the country at something like 14per cent and then had to eat humble pie when the Government stepped in and capped the rise.
Forcing the council to spend tax payer's money on re-issuing revised notices.
An unrepentant Cllr Melton tried to laugh off his total misjudgement of the public mood, by saying the rise was only the equivalent of a bar of chocolate for each person but he was the one who finished up with chocolate all over his face.
You may also want to watch:
I'm not surprised to hear that he was given this nice perk worth �8,649 pa on top of his basic councillors allowance of �4,133 plus expenses and subsistence, at the home of the leader of the council.
It seems to me we have a district council run on the lines of 'what Harper wants Harper gets', with most of the important decisions made by him behind closed doors or at clandestine meetings at the Conservative Club rather than in the council chamber where these things should be raised.
- 1 Drug free, drink free BMW driver crashes into wall
- 2 Former mayor Aigars Balsevics must wait for verdict on pub fate
- 3 Former mayor begins court battle to retain pub
- 4 Motorcyclist dies in A141 crash
- 5 A141 closed after motorcycle crash
- 6 Watch the moment E-scooter rider, 16, narrowly misses crashing into bus
- 7 Malaysian-style Fens home leaves Grand Designs viewers in awe
- 8 Body found in Wisbech road
- 9 Travellers move onto sports field forcing football to be cancelled
- 10 Bomb scare was a 'hoax' say police
The fact that Cllr Melton wasn't prepared to stand up and commit himself to ending the lunatic arrangement with Mat Taylor the ex finance chief, speaks volumes to me about his custody of our finances.