My interest in the latest instalment of the great Whittlesey supermarket debate
I READ with interest the latest instalment of the great Whittlesey supermarket debate and feel I must take issue with what the letter writer Paul had to say regarding the proposed Tesco store. Size-wise, while the proposed site might not be especially wid
I READ with interest the latest instalment of the great Whittlesey supermarket debate and feel I must take issue with what the letter writer Paul had to say regarding the proposed Tesco store.
Size-wise, while the proposed site might not be especially wide, just stand at the Cemetery Road roundabout and look back towards High Causeway -surely big enough.
Paul states that Tesco would be a 'one stop shop' and while this would certainly be true for some of the shoppers, a certain percentage would be inclined to drift out in to a town centre that is within walking distance.
The same could certainly not be said for the Benwick Road proposal, once folk are back in their cars you've lost them.
You may also want to watch:
As for the traffic, surely it is better to have a store almost adjacent to the A605 with almost direct access off it, than one that involves more lorries and cars passing both the town's major recreation fields.
Finally on the subject of the cemetery, as far as I'm aware, virtually all the plots at the front are old ones with new internments being conducted further back away from the road, where any disturbance would be negligible, and before readers think it, this is not nimbyism.
- 1 Businessman slams council’s coronavirus grants in explosive live rant
- 2 Woman, 78, suffers horrific injuries after e-scooter hit-and-run
- 3 £100k homes scrapped 'with almost immediate effect' says Mayor
- 4 Murder suspect is victim's son
- 5 Fleeing heroin dealer rams police car but they get him in the end
- 6 Two men with links to Cottenham on 'most wanted' list
- 7 Fly-tipped sofa second reported incident this week
- 8 Hairdressing student is best of 1,000 after winning national competition
- 9 'Police repeatedly failed me' over noisy neighbour saga, claims resident
- 10 Pervert filmed himself having sex with girl, 14, and then shared video online
I do not live on Benwick/Station Road or anywhere near that site, I simply think we should not go for a scheme that will surely give shoppers even less reason to come into the town centre.