MPS EXPENSES: Changes to what they can claim will hardly clean up British politics
CALLS for an immediate general election, getting rid of the Speaker and making cosmetic changes to what MPs can claim for, is hardly going to clean up the face of British politics. These revelations about MP s extravagent expense claims could have been ex
CALLS for an immediate general election, getting rid of the Speaker and making cosmetic changes to what MPs can claim for, is hardly going to clean up the face of British politics.
These revelations about MP's extravagent expense claims could have been exposed months ago, but have clearly been kept on hold by the likes of The Daily Telegraph to coincide with the effects of this economic recession, where many voters are more wary about money hence more prone to make instant comparisons of their own financial situations with those in authority!
Consequently, public resentment is being easily diverted towards MPs who claim for cleaning their moats or building floating duck ponds rather than the fact that billions of public money is propping up banks and much of the finanacial system anyway.
The fact that none of the mainstream parties lacks any ideological clout to contest this gross indictment of the way the economy is managed, should provoke a far bigger furore than what this expense saga throws up!
You may also want to watch:
The whole purpose of New Labour was to drop all Labour's socialist principles in order to win power in 1997 and this expense scandal is a major ramification of this capitulative process.
- 1 Rings End A141 closed after three vehicle collision
- 2 Pictures show cars - including Tesco delivery vans - queued at fuel pumps
- 3 Former mayor begins court battle to retain pub
- 4 Former mayor Aigars Balsevics must wait for verdict on pub fate
- 5 47-home estate 'beggars belief' says councillor
- 6 Showcase status for Academy
- 7 Crisis, what crisis? Panic buying at the pumps in Fenland
- 8 ‘From street dog to show champion’ - how Toby rescued his family
- 9 Drug free, drink free BMW driver crashes into wall
- 10 Motorcyclist dies in A141 crash