MARCH: We need to protect our heritage
I STUDIED for my A levels at Neale-Wade, these were the happiest years of my education, before starting my degree. Taking lessons in Eastwood House were both a pleasure and a privilege. It is a prime example of beautiful 19th Century architecture; it sho
I STUDIED for my A' levels at Neale-Wade, these were the happiest years of my education, before starting my degree.
Taking lessons in Eastwood House were both a pleasure and a privilege. It is a prime example of beautiful 19th Century architecture; it should be restored and incorporated into the new school.
I currently study at York St. John's University, and they have managed to find uses for the 18th Century buildings, whilst making sure that the modern buildings do not affect them, and indeed create a blend of modern and old that works, thus preserving heritage for future students.
If my university can achieve it then so can Neale-Wade, especially with the funds that have been awarded to it.
You may also want to watch:
Eastwood has stood the test of time, and still remains majestic in its state of disrepair. The other buildings, when put in 40 odd years ago, (indeed some 1960/70's improvements and architecture are equivalent to criminal damage) would of been modern and clean, how will the 21st glass boxes and wooden cabins look in another 40 years without Eastwood house to keep it anchored?
Yes, I think it is fantastic that Neale-Wade has this funding, but they should remember that pushing forward into the future should not mean that we demolish our past.
- 1 Man found dead in March
- 2 Driver leaves girl 'very shaken' after ploughing into car
- 3 Brother pays tribute to 'strongest character I've ever known'
- 4 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 5 Over 100 modern slavery victims rescued in Cambridgeshire
- 6 Janice launches Slimming World group after losing over two stone
- 7 HMO or flats divide councils but what happens to rest of hotel?
- 8 County passes funding of new £25m Wisbech school back to the Government
- 9 'Great improvement' - village pond gets a makeover
- 10 Child rapist, 57, behind bars for sexually abusing three children
With reference to Mr. Hitch's comment about it having 'no purpose', it shows a grave lack of insight, creativity and a philistine ideal. Only the backward have no purpose for the past and wish to destroy it.
I know many of my old A' level peers feel the same, this monstrosity should not be allowed to happen.