MARCH: Support our town to make it great again
AS a lover of March and its people, I have been dismayed over the last few years to see the smaller family businesses being shoved out by more supermarkets and out of town retailers. As always, the call is, well, it is cheaper. But cheaper for who? Cert
AS a lover of March and its people, I have been dismayed over the last few years to see the smaller family businesses being shoved out by more supermarkets and out of town retailers.
As always, the call is, "well, it is cheaper." But cheaper for who? Certainly not our grandchildren.
The food miles and oil used to provide supplies to the supermarkets is a travesty, and if half this money was spent in local shops and farms supplying local produce, our town's economy would be much healthier.
Then we would have a legacy for our grandchildren, a town to grow up in and have pride in.
You may also want to watch:
The council could look at the closure of Woolworths as the beginning of a new era in March's retailing history.
Imagine a new indoor market with stalls selling local produce, grown by locals for locals, along with information stands for local services, such as police, council, Young People March, March Pride, Lions etc.
- 1 Grandmother of drowning victim calls for Bawsey Pits closure
- 2 Wife's tribute to husband killed in B1101 Elm Road crash
- 3 Cannabis worth over £656,000 uncovered in Fen village
- 4 'Gone but never forgotten' - tributes left by lake where man drowned
- 5 Friends pay tribute to ‘great young lad’ who drowned at Bawsey Pits
- 6 A141 closed at roundabout after lorry overturns
- 7 Floral tributes laid for man killed in B1101 Elm Road crash
- 8 Mum shares her experience in call for IVF to be reinstated
- 9 Jeremy Corbyn to speak at King's Lynn hospital rally
- 10 Man, aged in his 40s, dies after suspected drug-fuelled B1101 crash
Anyone who feels they have something to give could get involved.
Could FDC support a small town with a heart to become a healthy self sufficient "transition town" with a future?
To show that March still has a heart,
The council has to make a start
We can fill the Woolies gap
Let's put March back on the map!
NAME AND ADDRESS SUPPLIED.