MARCH: Support our town to make it great again
AS a lover of March and its people, I have been dismayed over the last few years to see the smaller family businesses being shoved out by more supermarkets and out of town retailers. As always, the call is, well, it is cheaper. But cheaper for who? Cert
AS a lover of March and its people, I have been dismayed over the last few years to see the smaller family businesses being shoved out by more supermarkets and out of town retailers.
As always, the call is, "well, it is cheaper." But cheaper for who? Certainly not our grandchildren.
The food miles and oil used to provide supplies to the supermarkets is a travesty, and if half this money was spent in local shops and farms supplying local produce, our town's economy would be much healthier.
Then we would have a legacy for our grandchildren, a town to grow up in and have pride in.
The council could look at the closure of Woolworths as the beginning of a new era in March's retailing history.
Imagine a new indoor market with stalls selling local produce, grown by locals for locals, along with information stands for local services, such as police, council, Young People March, March Pride, Lions etc.
- 1 Middlesbrough couple found in Cambs with drugs worth around £37,000
- 2 Lorry breaks down on A47 near Wisbech
- 3 Can you answer these 10 GCSE questions designed for 16-year-olds?
- 4 EastEnders star Adam Woodyatt ‘to work at restaurant in Cambridgeshire’
- 5 Family pay tribute to brothers, 13 and 17, killed in horror BMW crash
- 6 Eye burglar smashed doors with brick and stole jewellery and chocolate
- 7 ‘Sudden death’ reported at Nene and Ramnoth School in Wisbech
- 8 Princess Anne waves from Range Rover after landing in Wisbech
- 9 Boys, 13 and 17 killed in horror BMW crash near A47 in Peterborough
- 10 Tribute to ‘much-loved’ school worker who died suddenly in Wisbech
Anyone who feels they have something to give could get involved.
Could FDC support a small town with a heart to become a healthy self sufficient "transition town" with a future?
To show that March still has a heart,
The council has to make a start
We can fill the Woolies gap
Let's put March back on the map!
NAME AND ADDRESS SUPPLIED.