MANEA: ""I'm no hero
HOW surprised I was to read that my snow clearing antics were to escalate to me being dubbed a Hero. Don t get me wrong, I accept the grateful residents appreciation of my efforts but I am some what embarrassed by the title Hero. I was born and breed in
HOW surprised I was to read that my snow clearing antics were to escalate to me being dubbed a Hero.
Don't get me wrong, I accept the grateful residents appreciation of my efforts but I am some what embarrassed by the title Hero.
I was born and breed in the village and have generally accepted that the village which can only be described as being "out in the sticks" has always suffered when extreme weather comes upon us.
The B roads that link us with neighbouring towns never get gritted, until the major A roads have been dealt with, and I appreciate as to why that has always been the case . People in the village have always had to do there bit to help keep the roads and paths open in bad weather conditions and "every little helps" as the recent snow falls caused many problems .
You may also want to watch:
However, after saying that I can remember in the 80,s we suffered far more snow than recently and on the worst day of the snow fall, I was snow ploughing with a loader tractor across the fen roads and at times clearing drifts a metre high in places.
At around midnight my brother phoned from Huntingdon as he was trying to get back to Manea with an articulated lorry and I then went out to meet him with the tractor and chain to help tow him back home.
- 1 Grandmother of drowning victim calls for Bawsey Pits closure
- 2 Wife's tribute to husband killed in B1101 Elm Road crash
- 3 Cannabis worth over £656,000 uncovered in Fen village
- 4 A141 closed at roundabout after lorry overturns
- 5 'Gone but never forgotten' - tributes left by lake where man drowned
- 6 Floral tributes laid for man killed in B1101 Elm Road crash
- 7 Friends pay tribute to ‘great young lad’ who drowned at Bawsey Pits
- 8 Mum shares her experience in call for IVF to be reinstated
- 9 Jeremy Corbyn to speak at King's Lynn hospital rally
- 10 Man arrested after cannabis factory found after house blaze
As far as I am concerned to help in bad weather has never been a problem and something I have done for many years but a hero - well I am not.
I suppose you could say I'm snow hero.