Long-serving blood donors from Wisbech honoured at special NHS ceremony
LONG-SERVING blood donors from Wisbech have been honoured at a special ceremony.
Ian Cornwell and Richard Draper were awarded crystal decanters for donating blood more than 100 times while Norman Evenden and James Kennaway were handed crystal plates for giving blood more than 75 times.
The NHS Blood and Transplant (NHSBT) ceremony, which took place at Chilford Hall, in Linton, Cambridge, celebrated the work of 82 donors across the region who between them had given more than 5,000 pints of blood.
Guest speaker Elsa Hunter, from Essex, told the ceremony that blood transfusions saved her life when she developed a rare blood disorder.
She said: “If it wasn’t for blood donors giving blood I simply would not be here today, they really did save my life.”
You may also want to watch:
Andrew Pearce, from NHSBT, said: “It’s humbling to be amongst so many committed blood donors. Only a very small number of people reach the 75 and 100 donation milestones so these donors should be very proud of their achievements.
“Our regular donors really are the backbone of our service and we are grateful for every single donation we receive.”
- 1 Wisbech nightspot up for sale for £410,000
- 2 Worst road in Fenland? You'd better believe it
- 3 Missing dog found thanks to drone footage
- 4 HMO plans submitted for village pub
- 5 'Father' found guilty of murdering his teenage daughter
- 6 Brexit blamed for plans to flatten Friday Bridge camp and build 100 homes
- 7 Nail bars and car washes targeted in modern day slavery checks
- 8 Drink driver fleeing traffic cops overturns before being arrested
- 9 'Every number is a lost life' - Worst Covid affected care homes in Cambs
- 10 'It could happen to anyone' - girlfriend of drowning victim speaks out
Anyone wanting to donate for the first time should be aged between 17-65, weighing at least 50kg (7 stone 12lbs) and in general good health.
If you’ve donated before, you can start again up to your 70th birthday and there is no upper age limit for donors who have donated in the last two years. To book an appointment call the Donor Line on 0300 123 23 23 or visit www.blood.co.uk