Let’s think about the reason for council houses
WHILE the debate continues over the dispatch of council houses, perhaps it s the wrong time to read Britain s best Tommies . For it brings to mind, why council houses were built. Were they not for returning heroes, to have a reasonable home? Governments
WHILE the debate continues over the dispatch of council houses, perhaps it's the wrong time to read 'Britain's best Tommies'.
For it brings to mind, why council houses were built. Were they not for returning heroes, to have a reasonable home?
Governments and councils attempt to make this land fit for those in 1914-18 who gave so much.
So to 1939-45, not quite the last of the Tommies but well in their 80th year. This time those who returned from the battlefields were joined by those who were the victims of the bombing onslaught. They too required council houses.
You may also want to watch:
It can't be recalled that council house building was ever meant to be the means of digging councils out of the 'hole' they have dug for themselves. Today's councillors are in post because of the thanks from those who gave so much. We are led to believe we live in democracy.
Would today's councils be much different if they were managed by the descendants of Germany and the Third Reich. I'm beginning to think not. But think again; we wouldn't have a veteran's badge, or a paltry pension, or a vote that few use.
- 1 Friends pay tribute to ‘great young lad’ who drowned at Bawsey Pits
- 2 Updates as emergency services rush to major crash blocking B1101
- 3 Man, aged in his 40s, dies after suspected drug-fuelled B1101 crash
- 4 Serious crash blocks main road into Fen town
- 5 Home next to disused railway bridge gets the go-ahead
- 6 Man in his 20 dies at West Norfolk park
- 7 Breast cancer survivor on why weight loss 'saved my life'
- 8 On hottest day of the year hospital 'put me in a store room for over two hours'
- 9 Fifty jobs up for grabs as Deliveroo announces early move into Wisbech
- 10 Man jailed for sexual relationship with schoolgirl