Let’s think about the reason for council houses
WHILE the debate continues over the dispatch of council houses, perhaps it s the wrong time to read Britain s best Tommies . For it brings to mind, why council houses were built. Were they not for returning heroes, to have a reasonable home? Governments
WHILE the debate continues over the dispatch of council houses, perhaps it's the wrong time to read 'Britain's best Tommies'.
For it brings to mind, why council houses were built. Were they not for returning heroes, to have a reasonable home?
Governments and councils attempt to make this land fit for those in 1914-18 who gave so much.
So to 1939-45, not quite the last of the Tommies but well in their 80th year. This time those who returned from the battlefields were joined by those who were the victims of the bombing onslaught. They too required council houses.
It can't be recalled that council house building was ever meant to be the means of digging councils out of the 'hole' they have dug for themselves. Today's councillors are in post because of the thanks from those who gave so much. We are led to believe we live in democracy.
Would today's councils be much different if they were managed by the descendants of Germany and the Third Reich. I'm beginning to think not. But think again; we wouldn't have a veteran's badge, or a paltry pension, or a vote that few use.
- 1 Town road to remain closed following serious crash
- 2 WEIRD NORFOLK: The local shoe shop haunted by a 'one-legged poltergeist'
- 3 Police 'increasingly concerned' for man missing since early hours yesterday
- 4 Florida Ice Effect phenomenon could put drivers at risk
- 5 Man, 28, dies after truck and lorries crash on A47
- 6 Product sold at Tesco recalled due to risk of disease-causing bacteria
- 7 Cyclists call bicycle plates and insurance 'unenforceable and unworkable'
- 8 £150,000 splashpad to open in Wisbech
- 9 Charity needs over 200 more volunteer vaccinators across Cambridgeshire
- 10 Cambridgeshire students set to receive their A-level exam results