LAST WEEK'S FRONT PAGE: Police are 'less useful than chocolate teapots'
I READ with disgust your front page article about how the police failed to respond to four 999 calls after a local locksmith caught a shoplifter. How dare the police meekly claim that this fiasco was a mere error of judgement . However, it does highligh
I READ with disgust your front page article about how the police failed to respond to four 999 calls after a local locksmith caught a shoplifter.
How dare the police meekly claim that this fiasco was a "mere error of judgement".
However, it does highlight the role of Wisbech's half dozen plastic plod PCSOs.
We now we know that they are incapable of escorting shoplifters to the police station, they are less useful than chocolate teapots.
You may also want to watch:
Nationally, the labour govt spends £240m a year on PCSOs yet won't allow chief constables to use this money by spending it on real coppers.
But that's just another instance of Gordon Brown wasting taxpayers' money.
- 1 Suspected paedophile, 61, arrested in front of thousands on live video
- 2 Empty Wisbech shop earmarked for slots and bingo
- 3 Success after six year battle to get 21 homes approved on factory site
- 4 Matilda, 9, sold her dolls to raise money for charity close to her heart
- 5 Three derelict cottages ‘would make an ideal renovation project’
- 6 Hundreds go bargain hunting in the sun at first car boot since lockdown
- 7 Letters: Mayor's tribute, poem for a pigeon and letter release refusal
- 8 Ex-glider pilot and education pioneer dies
- 9 100 mile charity walk inspired by mum's breast cancer recovery
- 10 Dramatic drop in face-to-face GP appointments
Local chief plod Julie Spence is also not without criticism.
After all, she prefers to spend taxpayers money on 21 top of the range Volvo estates for high ranking officers to swan around in at a cost of £500,000, rather than see Wisbech being policed properly.
The only way to stop this rot in the police is to make them properly accountable.
Chief constables should have to stand for election and PCSOs should be replaced with proper coppers.