HUDSON LEISURE CENTRE: I just tried to explain the difficulties faced in balancing budgets
I ACCEPT all the points made by Mark Beckett in his letter about the Hudson Leisure Centre. In my original letter, I was just trying to explain the many difficulties that the Tory-controlled Fenland Council faces in balancing its budget. However, things c
I ACCEPT all the points made by Mark Beckett in his letter about the Hudson Leisure Centre.
In my original letter, I was just trying to explain the many difficulties that the Tory-controlled Fenland Council faces in balancing its budget.
However, things could get a lot worse.
If the Tory government that is expected to be elected at the 2010 general election cuts back on public spending at the wrong time we could face a double-dip or 'w'-shaped recession.
You may also want to watch:
A similar thing happened in the USA in 1936-37. The Roosevelt government mistakenly foresaw an upturn in the economy, and subsequently cut back on public spending.
The result was that the US economy collapsed back into recession. The same possibility could face a newly-elected Tory government.
- 1 Van crashes into pram, killing five month old baby
- 2 Dad's emotional tribute after baby son dies in A10 horror crash
- 3 'Chopper was a hard worker and put himself about' - tribute to ex-Fenmen star
- 4 Covid-19 numbers in Fenland higher than rest of county
- 5 Stolen American-style fridge was lifted over 10ft security fence
- 6 County council ploughs £3.4m into farm deal
- 7 Council chief executive accused of 'indifference' over Covid-19 response
- 8 Crash boy's mum says he's 'badly shaken but OK'
- 9 'Eccentric traveller' spotted riding vintage bicycle ahead of historic trip
- 10 First large-scale Cambs Covid-19 vaccination centres open this week
It is therefore entirely possible that the three leisure centres in Fenland could be closed as Fenland Council franticly attempts to balance its budget.