Gallery: Wisbech’s Youth Cricket Week deemed best one yet
WISBECH Town Cricket Club held their best Youth Cricket Week yet according to organiser Dom Stannard.
The five-day festival, in it’s fifth year, saw youngsters flock to the event which ran from Monday August 9 to Friday August 13.
Mr Stannard, Youth Development Officer at the club, said: “It was an outstanding week and probably the best one yet.
“Everything ran excellently and we were really pleased with the feedback. It was unbelievable to see so many children playing cricket. The week is a celebration of the game and the fact we’re coming towards the end of the season but it’s always nice to promote the club and to get new people involved.”
A coaching academy ran for the first three days giving children the chance to practice their skills and use new facilities at the club which included a bowling machine.
You may also want to watch:
The organisers set-up their take on the Indian Premier League on Thursday as they held an ‘Indoor Premier League’. Four captains bidded for players before competing in matches in what the organiser admitted was many children’s highlight of the week.
He said: “Thursday’s IPL was incredibly popular.
- 1 Empty Wisbech shop earmarked for slots and bingo
- 2 Suspected paedophile, 61, arrested in front of thousands on live video
- 3 Success after six year battle to get 21 homes approved on factory site
- 4 Matilda, 9, sold her dolls to raise money for charity close to her heart
- 5 Letters: Mayor's tribute, poem for a pigeon and letter release refusal
- 6 Three derelict cottages ‘would make an ideal renovation project’
- 7 Hundreds go bargain hunting in the sun at first car boot since lockdown
- 8 Ex-glider pilot and education pioneer dies
- 9 Man, 53, found in 'possession of knife' in Queensgate Shopping Centre
- 10 100 mile charity walk inspired by mum's breast cancer recovery
“More than 80 children turned up on Friday which was very pleasing but just seeing everyone enjoying their cricket is the best bit and why we do it.
“The children loved it, the coaches enjoyed it and the parents were really impressed. It was really special to see how many children love their cricket.