Gallery: Wisbech’s Youth Cricket Week deemed best one yet
WISBECH Town Cricket Club held their best Youth Cricket Week yet according to organiser Dom Stannard.
The five-day festival, in it’s fifth year, saw youngsters flock to the event which ran from Monday August 9 to Friday August 13.
Mr Stannard, Youth Development Officer at the club, said: “It was an outstanding week and probably the best one yet.
“Everything ran excellently and we were really pleased with the feedback. It was unbelievable to see so many children playing cricket. The week is a celebration of the game and the fact we’re coming towards the end of the season but it’s always nice to promote the club and to get new people involved.”
A coaching academy ran for the first three days giving children the chance to practice their skills and use new facilities at the club which included a bowling machine.
The organisers set-up their take on the Indian Premier League on Thursday as they held an ‘Indoor Premier League’. Four captains bidded for players before competing in matches in what the organiser admitted was many children’s highlight of the week.
He said: “Thursday’s IPL was incredibly popular.
- 1 Arsonist started fire in Wisbech care home
- 2 Council calls for return to mask wearing as Covid soars
- 3 Covid sweeps across Cambridgeshire as summer wave takes hold
- 4 Smiles return as bridge re-painting comes to an end
- 5 Armed police swoop on youngsters brandishing suspected hand gun
- 6 Rikki Neave’s mother calls for tougher sentence for son’s murderer
- 7 Arson arrest after Wisbech blaze
- 8 Woman, 80, dies following A141 crash
- 9 Steve Barclay becomes Health Secretary following shock resignations
- 10 Have you seen Harry Gibson? He's wanted by police
“More than 80 children turned up on Friday which was very pleasing but just seeing everyone enjoying their cricket is the best bit and why we do it.
“The children loved it, the coaches enjoyed it and the parents were really impressed. It was really special to see how many children love their cricket.