Gallery: Wisbech’s Youth Cricket Week deemed best one yet
WISBECH Town Cricket Club held their best Youth Cricket Week yet according to organiser Dom Stannard.
The five-day festival, in it’s fifth year, saw youngsters flock to the event which ran from Monday August 9 to Friday August 13.
Mr Stannard, Youth Development Officer at the club, said: “It was an outstanding week and probably the best one yet.
“Everything ran excellently and we were really pleased with the feedback. It was unbelievable to see so many children playing cricket. The week is a celebration of the game and the fact we’re coming towards the end of the season but it’s always nice to promote the club and to get new people involved.”
A coaching academy ran for the first three days giving children the chance to practice their skills and use new facilities at the club which included a bowling machine.
You may also want to watch:
The organisers set-up their take on the Indian Premier League on Thursday as they held an ‘Indoor Premier League’. Four captains bidded for players before competing in matches in what the organiser admitted was many children’s highlight of the week.
He said: “Thursday’s IPL was incredibly popular.
- 1 'Sorry for any delay' but we're getting there says vaccine rollout manager
- 2 Rough sleepers helped from tents pitched on private land
- 3 Cops 'cash and carry' raid nets 108 cannabis plants and £100,000
- 4 Rapist on bail performed magic tricks for police and security guard
- 5 Man suffers serious injuries after two-vehicle crash on A47
- 6 Coroner records Wisbech teenager’s death as suicide
- 7 Teacher’s 1,000 press-ups charity challenge in friend's memory
- 8 We want to end the season now, states Fenmen chairman
- 9 'Well, here's another nice mess you've gotten me into'
- 10 Hammers and knives, drug driving and Covid-19 breaches lead to arrests
“More than 80 children turned up on Friday which was very pleasing but just seeing everyone enjoying their cricket is the best bit and why we do it.
“The children loved it, the coaches enjoyed it and the parents were really impressed. It was really special to see how many children love their cricket.