Fleeced over speeding ticket
ON Sunday, February 24, at 1.40pm, I was clocked by a police speed check at 45mph, more than half-a-mile from the beginning of the temporary traffic lights on the Forty Foot. It would appear that the speed limit from Leonard Childs Bridge, a distance of
ON Sunday, February 24, at 1.40pm, I was clocked by a police speed check at 45mph, more than half-a-mile from the beginning of the temporary traffic lights on the Forty Foot.
It would appear that the speed limit from Leonard Childs Bridge, a distance of 2.5 miles to the start of the lights, is 30mph, but reverts to 50mph just half-a-mile after the end of the traffic lights. The number 5 on the road has been scrubbed out but not replaced with a 3, and the only other warning is wholly inadequate small '30' signs on posts where '50' used to be.
I had already slowed down from 50 on seeing the traffic lights in the distance, and when I was stopped I accepted the warning courteously, but the police officer was not content with this, he issued me with a £60 penalty notice, thus blemishing my otherwise clean 23 year record. Surely a little heavy-handed?
The vast majority of cars were doing 50mph or more which would also indicate that signing is not clear, or they would have slowed on seeing the police cars.
You may also want to watch:
I hope this letter stops at least one more driver from being fleeced, whilst shop windows are still being broken elsewhere.
- 1 Woman threatened for not wearing mask describes fear for safety
- 2 Man in critical condition after single-vehicle crash
- 3 Fen farm on more than 200 acres of land up for sale for £2.2million
- 4 Podcast revisits the mysterious missing case of Terry McSpadden
- 5 'Software error' blamed for town council election mix up
- 6 110-year-old church gates reappear following £400 makeover
- 7 Heated dining pod and covered decking area at restaurant after garden makeover
- 8 Five fire crews called to building blaze
- 9 Norfolk has no Covid patients in critical care for first time in six months
- 10 Historian who wrote 126 books and spent 64 years bellringing dies aged 90