FENLAND: Why are councillors' declared interests not on the council's website?
GEOFFREY Harper stated Local government has particularly rigorous standards of transparency and accountability. Councillors must enter on a public register all their financial and other outside interests . Look at the FDC website and you will find that t
GEOFFREY Harper stated 'Local government has particularly rigorous standards of transparency and accountability. Councillors must enter on a public register all their financial and other outside interests'.
Look at the FDC website and you will find that these interests are in 'The Register is maintained and retained by Democratic Services and is available for inspection by appointment. Contact us to make an appointment'.
Very useful if you live locally and have the time but for 'housebound of Christchurch', or 'working person of Benwick', this is no use whatsoever.
Last year I emailed FDC and informed them that other councils use links in their web pages to councillors declared interests - on 21/7/08 Perry Holmes Democratic Services replied 'I shall put it on the agenda of the Standards Committee which has responsibility for promoting standards of good conduct including registration of interests'.
Perhaps Geoffrey Harper would like to tell us 'in the interests of transparency and accountability' why nothing seems to have been done.
Or is it like MP's expenses - 'We are within the rules ' but indifferent to the spirit therein?
- 1 Arsonist started fire in Wisbech care home
- 2 Council calls for return to mask wearing as Covid soars
- 3 Elderly man scares off would-be burglar
- 4 Covid sweeps across Cambridgeshire as summer wave takes hold
- 5 DVLA issues urgent warning to drivers in UK
- 6 Steve Barclay becomes Health Secretary following shock resignations
- 7 Smiles return as bridge re-painting comes to an end
- 8 Armed police swoop on youngsters brandishing suspected hand gun
- 9 Arson arrest after Wisbech blaze
- 10 Crews tackle blaze in Wisbech