FENLAND: Beware of the fraudsters
I WAS recently contacted about a horse I was selling and the person buying the horse agreed terms and sent me a cheque for �5,000. He wanted me to then pay the company that would be collecting the horse their fee, which was �3,000.The cheque arrived, bu
I WAS recently contacted about a horse I was selling and the person buying the horse agreed terms and sent me a cheque for �5,000.
He wanted me to then pay the company that would be collecting the horse their fee, which was �3,000.
The cheque arrived, but we noticed it was a fake, and contacted the police.
The other party continued to chase us for payment to have the horse collected, and we were to send payment to a UK Abbey bank account and we were also given a UK mobile number to contact.
You may also want to watch:
We contacted the police straight away and it is now over a week and we are being chased still by this guy wanting his money.
I contacted the police this morning, who appear to have done nothing except pass it around internally and their advice this morning, tell the guy we know it is a false check and that we have contacted the police.
- 1 Caravan wedged under Fens rail bridge
- 2 Bid to ban ex- mayor running pub “a joke” says cabinet member
- 3 Photos show grim reality of life on the streets
- 4 Verdict means former mayor can keep pub
- 5 Burglars led police to £170,000 cannabis factory
- 6 Antiques dealer's collection to be sold at auction
- 7 Speeding car smashes into two vehicles before driving off
- 8 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 9 City short-listed to house Museum of Brexit
- 10 Daughter sets fire to father's bedroom after food outrage
With so many people falling victim to this sort of fraud, here we had a live case with UK contacts that they could follow up on, but their only advice was to tell the guy we know it is a fraud.
No wonder there are so many frauds going on out there if this is the treatment we receive when we give them the heads up on one.
I hope you will be able to warn others.
We spotted this very early on as a fraud but others may not be so fortunate.
The cheque looked very real and it was only because I checked with the bank re the sort code before banking it, I discovered it was not real.