FENLAND: Beware of the fraudsters
I WAS recently contacted about a horse I was selling and the person buying the horse agreed terms and sent me a cheque for �5,000. He wanted me to then pay the company that would be collecting the horse their fee, which was �3,000.The cheque arrived, bu
I WAS recently contacted about a horse I was selling and the person buying the horse agreed terms and sent me a cheque for �5,000.
He wanted me to then pay the company that would be collecting the horse their fee, which was �3,000.
The cheque arrived, but we noticed it was a fake, and contacted the police.
The other party continued to chase us for payment to have the horse collected, and we were to send payment to a UK Abbey bank account and we were also given a UK mobile number to contact.
You may also want to watch:
We contacted the police straight away and it is now over a week and we are being chased still by this guy wanting his money.
I contacted the police this morning, who appear to have done nothing except pass it around internally and their advice this morning, tell the guy we know it is a false check and that we have contacted the police.
- 1 Pink Cadillacs, sports cars and a VW Beetle: Students arrive in style for their leavers' prom
- 2 'It could happen to anyone' - girlfriend of drowning victim speaks out
- 3 Replacing pub with houses ‘effective re-use' of site
- 4 Fenland Council welcomes Covid-19 compliant free rock festival
- 5 Mother sends warning over 'disgraceful' care of six-year-old daughter
- 6 Quiz-loving duo win BBC game show hosted by Bradley Walsh and Holly Willoughby
- 7 Historic hotel opens doors after lockdown transformation
- 8 Eagle-eyed plane spotter saves pilot's life
- 9 Two drink drivers lose their licences
- 10 7 places to avoid the crowds in Cambs this summer
With so many people falling victim to this sort of fraud, here we had a live case with UK contacts that they could follow up on, but their only advice was to tell the guy we know it is a fraud.
No wonder there are so many frauds going on out there if this is the treatment we receive when we give them the heads up on one.
I hope you will be able to warn others.
We spotted this very early on as a fraud but others may not be so fortunate.
The cheque looked very real and it was only because I checked with the bank re the sort code before banking it, I discovered it was not real.