EXPENSES ROW: Scandal shows why we need working class MPs
SO some Members of Parliament from all the main political parties have been caught with their hands in the till. These politicians make you sick. They publicly attack those on Job Seekers Allowance of �60.50 a week, together with those on disability bene
SO some Members of Parliament from all the main political parties have been caught with their hands in the till.
These politicians make you sick. They publicly attack those on Job Seekers' Allowance of �60.50 a week, together with those on disability benefits, as spongers and benefit scroungers.
Apparently the favoured method of MPs for making money is 'flipping', whereby a property is designated as a second home in order to claim for repairs, improvements, decoration, and mortgage interest payments.
MPs can claim up to �24,000 a year for this. The property can then be re-designated as a first home enabling it to be sold at a profit without incurring capital gains tax.
Contrast these greedy MPs with Dave Nellist, now a Coventry City Councillor, who as a 'socialist' Labour MP from 1983 to 1992 took only the average wage of a Coventry factory worker.
The salary of all MPs must be cut to the level of the average wage of a skilled worker. That's about �500 a week.
- 1 Arson causes fire to rip through derelict building
- 2 Police officer speaks out after violent assault left bleed on brain
- 3 Salesman Stephen who 'has a smile every day' marks 45 years at firm
- 4 Discount store expanding making it ‘bigger and better for customers’
- 5 Man and teenager jailed after carrying out ‘horrific’ homophobic attack
- 6 Chip shop’s new platter dish ‘The Great Gordon’ tribute to late founder
- 7 Woman on trial over death of Louis Thorold ‘had worsening dementia’
- 8 Mayor's visit inspires Fenmen to cup thrashing
- 9 More than 1,000 children in need of fostering in Cambridgeshire
- 10 Family pay tribute to 'hard worker' father killed in A14 crash
Where expenses are needed, they should be strictly necessary ones only, similar to what some building workers claim as they travel the country in pursuit of their work.
The expenses scandal shows why we need working class MPs.