ESTATE AGENTS: I firmly believe the writing is on the wall
EVER since I worked in the economic services section of the Welsh Office in the mid-1980s, I have been a student of economic and social history. As such, I firmly believe that there are parallels between the last decade and the ten years leading up to the
EVER since I worked in the economic services section of the Welsh Office in the mid-1980s, I have been a student of economic and social history.
As such, I firmly believe that there are parallels between the last decade and the ten years leading up to the 1929 Wall Street Crash.
The big difference is that in 1929 it was shares which were the vehicle for financial self-destruction, whereas in 2008 it is residential property.
Estate agencies across the UK are closing branches at the rate of 150 a week, with 4000 jobs going since the beginning of January.
You may also want to watch:
It would therefore be a good idea for estate agents to dust off their CV's and start applying for jobs at Tesco, Asda, and Poundland.
I would give B & Q a miss. In the USA, Home Depot, the equivalent of B & Q, has just closed 50 branches, with the loss of 5000 jobs.
- 1 Woman claims police officer ‘forced himself’ upon her
- 2 A fiver for a photographic tour of historic Wisbech
- 3 Table tennis club 'bitterly disappointed' to be told to move
- 4 'A crash waiting to happen' say police
- 5 Flytippers target same Fenland road two days in a row
- 6 'Harassment' forces village speedwatch team to close
- 7 ‘Shift well spent!’: Fen Cops target illegal motorists in day of action
- 8 Cafe to shut for good after eight years
- 9 New ditch to relieve flood issues 'more challenging than expected'
- 10 Van overturns after striking Ely’s infamous ‘most bashed bridge’
It is possible that we will see a repeat of the property slump of the early 1990s, where all estate agencies in some market towns closed down.
However, this time around, the more far-sighted estate agents are turning themselves into residential letting agencies, given the boom in private rented accommodation.
It will be interesting to see if this happens in Fenland over the next couple of years?