End noise pollution? Start with this manhole cover
AT the beginning of June I reported a loose round manhole cover at the junction of Queens Road and Somers Road, Wisbech, to the highways department of Cambridgshire County Council. This cover makes so much noise when traffic passes over it, that we canno
AT the beginning of June I reported a loose round manhole cover at the junction of Queens Road and Somers Road, Wisbech, to the highways department of Cambridgshire County Council.
This cover makes so much noise when traffic passes over it, that we cannot sleep after five o'clock in the morning, when the shift workers start arriving at the local factory which has a car park at the end of Somers Road.
After the first week of waiting, I phoned again. After another week I sent an e-mail. After another week I again phoned again and was promised it would be looked into. After a few days away, to catch up on our sleep, suddenly some coloured spray paint highlighted the manhole.
I contacted the enviromental health department. as the constant noise was detrimental to our health. Every time you hear a car, you wait for the bang of the manhole. Evidently noise is not an environmental issue. The department told me to contact the water authority as it may be a sewer manhole cover. I contacted the water authority to report it, but nothing has happened yet.
On reading your paper I saw that Fenland District Council is intending to target and fine antisocial and environmental crimes, one of which was noise from house alarms - fine £75 Will they allow them to sound for seven weeks before taking action?
I know who I shall vote for in the next election. Perhaps a responsible council person would like to spend an hour at our house to hear the problem, before it is concreted over.
- 1 Middlesbrough couple found in Cambs with drugs worth around £37,000
- 2 Lorry breaks down on A47 near Wisbech
- 3 EastEnders star Adam Woodyatt ‘to work at restaurant in Cambridgeshire’
- 4 Can you answer these 10 GCSE questions designed for 16-year-olds?
- 5 Eye burglar smashed doors with brick and stole jewellery and chocolate
- 6 Family pay tribute to brothers, 13 and 17, killed in horror BMW crash
- 7 ‘Sudden death’ reported at Nene and Ramnoth School in Wisbech
- 8 Megan realises netball dream ahead of Commonwealth Games bow
- 9 Man admits west Norfolk arson
- 10 Boys, 13 and 17 killed in horror BMW crash near A47 in Peterborough
BILL ATHERTON Queen's Road Wisbech