Driver with a screw loose
AS I had been giving a talk in King s Lynn, staying overnight near Wisbech, I decided to visit the town the following day. I had not been to Wisbech for many years, and after stocking up on fresh local produce to take home, I decide to drive alongside the
AS I had been giving a talk in King's Lynn, staying overnight near Wisbech, I decided to visit the town the following day.
I had not been to Wisbech for many years, and after stocking up on fresh local produce to take home, I decide to drive alongside the River Nene, before investigating how the moribund
Wisbech branch line was fairing. Big mistake!
Some clown had dropped a large box of brand new, very shiny, metal screws on a roundabout alongside the river.
You may also want to watch:
However, as is usual on roundabouts, someone was 'tailgating' me and before I knew it I'd passed over the screws.
I thought I'd got away with it, but more than 500 miles later in Bournemouth, after another lecture date in Melton Mowbray in Leicestershire I ended up with a flat tyre due to one of the screws. I was fortunate, other drivers ended up with four punctures.
- 1 Pink Cadillacs, sports cars and a VW Beetle: Students arrive in style for their leavers' prom
- 2 'It could happen to anyone' - girlfriend of drowning victim speaks out
- 3 Replacing pub with houses ‘effective re-use' of site
- 4 Mother sends warning over 'disgraceful' care of six-year-old daughter
- 5 Fenland Council welcomes Covid-19 compliant free rock festival
- 6 Two drink drivers lose their licences
- 7 7 places to avoid the crowds in Cambs this summer
- 8 Hospitals temporarily reintroduce restrictions for visitors
- 9 Fens crime gang ‘boss’ jailed
I only hope that whoever caused the chaos was traced and is now facing a large bill for replacement tyres.
My visit to your truly delightful town was overshadowed by the stupidity of some van or lorry driver, but I will be back, especially when the Wisbech branch line hosts another special train or opens for regular traffic.
DR R B MANNION