DODDINGTON: Complaint over carnival coverage- and the Editor's response
REFERRING to your edition dated July 11, I m sending you this to raise a complaint. As co-chair of Doddington Under 5 s Parent & Toddler Group, I feel I have to air my discontent and disappointment regarding your coverage of our annual carnival held on Ju
REFERRING to your edition dated July 11, I'm sending you this to raise a complaint.
As co-chair of Doddington Under 5's Parent & Toddler Group, I feel I have to air my discontent and disappointment regarding your coverage of our annual carnival held on July 5, which I can only describe as lacklustre and deficient.
The effort that goes into the weeks leading up to the carnival is enormous and warrants a whole lot more coverage than you gave.
Speaking in my role as co-chair I feel the children, more than anyone else, have been let down by the minimal coverage you gave. They worked extremely hard in putting their float together and were over the moon they won first prize in the junior float competition.
There are no photographs of the floats, which a major disappointment to all those involved. Instead, there are only photographs of the sports event.
I notice that throughout the same edition there are double-page spreads for the medieval festival in Chatteris, and the same treatment for the Rose Fair in Wisbech (they actually received a four-page spread with countless photos). Why is it that you believe the Doddington carnival deserves much less?
- 1 Both drivers seriously injured after head on crash
- 2 Developer going flat out to convert former post office
- 3 Arson arrest after Wisbech blaze
- 4 Crews tackle blaze in Wisbech
- 5 Top roles confirmed at council owned housing firm
- 6 Hospitals raise car parking costs for first time in six years
- 7 Captured Cambridgeshire man 'charged with mercenary activities' by Russia
- 8 Wisbech family discover 'ultimate side hustle'
- 9 Fenland man repeatedly raped woman for 20 years
- 10 Stress, anxiety, mental health and depression prompt rise in days off
I'm not normally one to complain but I feel it's wholly justified in this instance.
Doddington Under 5's Parent and Toddler Group
EDITOR'S FOOTNOTE: On the Saturday of the Doddington Carnival we had two photographers on duty, covering the multitude of social and sporting events that Fenland offered that day. We took hundreds of photos, published many in our two newspapers, the Cambs Times and Wisbech Standard, and uploaded many more photos onto our websites for our readers' enjoyment.
That Doddington Carnival clashed with many other events is unfortunate but I feel we more than did the event justice, and I hope other readers agree.