Children cannot even compete with their granddads
THERE is a lot of discussion and soul searching these days about whether or not the present standards for various school examinations are lower than in the past. One has only to obtain copies of old examination papers to find a startling difference. I hav
THERE is a lot of discussion and soul searching these days about whether or not the present standards for various school examinations are lower than in the past.
One has only to obtain copies of old examination papers to find a startling difference.
I have copies of school tests in arithmetic for 11-year olds from 1933, which I believe that many 16-year-olds would now have difficulty in completing in the set time.
No calculators allowed and I would convert all the questions from £.s.d., cwts and inches with which they had to wrestle in those days to the present day's metric equivalent.
The reduction in standards over the years to the present is so obvious that I am surprised that there hasn't been a public outcry before now.
I am sure that the many experts will tell us that it is all a myth. That's what they said in the 1960s, 1970s, 1980s and 1990s and they are still at it.
- 1 Breakup and burglary! Couple's chaos after £101m win on Euromillions
- 2 Man, 28, and boy, 15, arrested after major A1101 crash in Wisbech
- 3 Knife-wielding teen jailed after week-long crime spree in Wisbech
- 4 Recap: Main road through Wisbech town centre shut after serious crash
- 5 Man arrested in Wisbech after illegally entering UK three times
- 6 Village road closing for five weeks for temporary barrier installation
- 7 Inside Wisbech's new 'Get Out' escape room
- 8 Jailed: 58-year-old burglar who stole £57,000 BMW M4 in Wisbech
- 9 Recap: A47 shut near Wisbech and King's Lynn after evening crash
- 10 Family pay tribute to brothers, 13 and 17, killed in horror BMW crash
The politicians have a strong vested interest in lulling us all into a false sense of security.
After all, who wants to be told that they are not competing at their granddad's level?