Apologies for any offence caused
I WOULD like to comment on the letter by Mark Beckett about Wisbech Swimming Club. We have now learned four things about the club: First, it pays £89 an hour for the hire of the Hudson swimming pool, including the provision of lifeguards. Second, it pays,
I WOULD like to comment on the letter by Mark Beckett about Wisbech Swimming Club.
We have now learned four things about the club:
First, it pays £89 an hour for the hire of the Hudson swimming pool, including the provision of lifeguards.
Second, it pays, in total, more than £40,000 a year to Fenland District Council for the hire of the pool.
Third, the major sponsor of the club is Wheelers, the chartered accountants and business advisers, of North Street, Wisbech.
Fourth, Wisbech Swimming Club and the Wisbech swimming team are sponsored by more than 40 local businesses.
- 1 A47 near Wisbech set to close for seven weekends due to roadworks
- 2 Teenager was ‘acting in self-defence’ when stamping on boy’s head
- 3 Village shop hit by ram raiders
- 4 New cops truck catches out law-breaking drivers in successful week
- 5 Farm shop's green light for outdoor seating and play area
- 6 Father and son accused of man's murder set to stand trial this summer
- 7 Partygoer who claimed ADHD caused him to kill jailed for life
- 8 Motorcyclist in serious condition after A142 tractor crash
- 9 Jail for suspected hare courser who forced cars off road during police pursuit
- 10 New dessert shop bids to become 'best in the area'
It is true that I have a chip on my shoulder with regard to Wisbech Swimming Club.
In the summer of 1988 I did enquire with the reception at the Hudson Leisure Centre about joining the club.
I wanted to join the club as a means of meeting new people, especially women who liked swimming.
I was told by the receptionist that Wisbech Swimming Club was mainly for people aged 18 and under.
When I asked about any sessions held by the club for adults, I was told that such sessions were only for adult members of the swimming team.
Mr Beckett has asked me to apologise. I therefore would like to apologise to any members of the club or their parents for any upset my original letter caused.