SNOOKER: Chatteris potter Joe Perry qualifies for World Open

PUBLISHED: 12:17 08 August 2017 | UPDATED: 12:18 08 August 2017

Joe Perry. Photo: Tai Chengzhe/World Snooker

Joe Perry. Photo: Tai Chengzhe/World Snooker

Tai Chengzhe/Calf-Max

Joe Perry booked his place at the World Open this week.

The Chatteris cueman, who last month received a three-year suspended ban for breaching betting rules, breezed past Welshman Ian Preece in qualifying at the Preston Guildhall yesterday (August 7).

Preece won the opening frame in a low-scoring affair before Perry stormed back to take a 5-2 victory – which included a break of 70 – to seal his place at the China-based competition which runs from September 18 to 24.

Perry reached the final of the tournament last season, but was defeated 10-8 by Ali Carter in Yushan.

The 42-year-old received a ban and a £2,500 fine last month after admitting to making a number of bets from 2009 to 2013.

The World Professional Billiards and Snooker Association (WBSA) said the bets in question “were relatively small in value to a total of £2,806.49 over the four year period where he made an overall profit of £832.09.”

0 comments

Welcome , please leave your message below.

Optional - JPG files only
Optional - MP3 files only
Optional - 3GP, AVI, MOV, MPG or WMV files
Comments

Please log in to leave a comment and share your views with other Wisbech Standard visitors.

We enable people to post comments with the aim of encouraging open debate.

Only people who register and sign up to our terms and conditions can post comments. These terms and conditions explain our house rules and legal guidelines.

Comments are not edited by Wisbech Standard staff prior to publication but may be automatically filtered.

If you have a complaint about a comment please contact us by clicking on the Report This Comment button next to the comment.

Not a member yet?

Register to create your own unique Wisbech Standard account for free.

Signing up is free, quick and easy and offers you the chance to add comments, personalise the site with local information picked just for you, and more.

Sign up now

More news stories

Yesterday, 19:10

Former town clerk Erbie Murat says the St George flag flying over the Wisbech council chamber is a ‘tattered insult’.

Yesterday, 18:23

Six figure salary posts within the new Cambridgeshire and Peterborough Combined Authority have been put on hold whilst an internal disagreement over how much is being spent is resolved.

Yesterday, 17:13

A prestigious exhibition opens in Newmarket with rarely seen work from an artist who catures the peace before race day and the tension as it begins.

Saturday, August 19, 2017

Six women have been awarded after sharing their weight loss journeys and losing 21.5 stone between them.

Most read stories

HOT JOBS

Show Job Lists

Digital Edition

Image
Read the Wisbech Standard e-edition E-edition

Newsletter Sign Up

Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter