Players ‘over the moon’ after Australian star Steve Seymour agrees return to March Town Cricket Club

13:01 20 February 2013

Steve Seymour is applauded off the pitch after making a century in his first game back for March last season. Picture: JAMIE PLUCK

Steve Seymour is applauded off the pitch after making a century in his first game back for March last season. Picture: JAMIE PLUCK

Archant

AUSTRALIAN all-rounder Steve Seymour is returning to March Town Cricket Club - and captain Chris Ringham says his players are over the moon.

Seymour, who starred as the overseas player at The Avenue in 2008/09, helped turn around March’s season last year when he made four appearances during a trip to England.

His holiday heroics included a sparkling century in his first game back and a record-breaking two hat-tricks in consecutive Tucker Gardner Premier Division games.

March secured a deal to re-sign their Aussie hero this week and Ringham said he would arrive in time for their first league clash, against Camden on April 20.

“Steve said out of the blue that he was looking to come back to England,” said the March skipper.

“He had offers from clubs in Yorkshire but we made him an offer and fortunately he decided to take us up on it.

“I’m absolutely over the moon. I’ve spoken to the players and there’s a massive buzz around the squad now.”

Seymour plays first-grade cricket in Australia alongside international stars David Hussey and Chris Rogers.

Ringham said: “Steve can do everything - bat, bowl and field. He turns games and he’s a match-winner.

“He will definitely open the batting for us and he may open the bowling as well depending on the conditions. We were a bit nervous about who we were going to get, so this is brilliant.”

March shrugged off a dismal start to finish fourth in the league last season.

Ringham said: “If Steve stays fit, I’m fully confident we can achieve what we did last year.

“I don’t really think we’re strong enough to push for the title - you can’t rely on one person - but Steve definitely increases our chances of finishing top four.”

0 comments

More news stories

Fenland Big Weekender

Ten young entrepreneurs – between the ages of 14 and 19- are being offered the chance to make a name for themselves …..with a £10 note.

16:20
Natalia Price speaking at the RCOG World Conference with Kath's Daily Mail article on the screen in the background

The doctor who performed corrective surgery for campaigning journalist Kath Sansom when a mesh bladder sling caused severe pain and complications used her story at a conference attended by 2,000 medical specialists from around the world.

Yesterday, 17:05
Mick George Quarry Block Fen Mepal. Picture: Steve Williams.

A forensic genetics expert says trying to establish the identity of the severed head found at Mepal quarry will be extremely difficult if police have no leads to go on.

Yesterday, 15:05
Seth Dixon, 7, was knocked over and killed by Amy Asker in 2014

A motorist who knocked down and killed a seven-year-old boy while talking on her mobile phone was fined just £90 and given five points on her driving licence.

Most read stories

Most commented stories

HOT JOBS

Show Job Lists

Digital Edition

Image
Read the Wisbech Standard e-edition E-edition

Newsletter Sign Up