Fen Potter Joe Perry out to make top-16 history despite missing out on UK Championship spot

15:30 27 November 2012

Joe Perry.

Joe Perry.

Archant

FEN Potter Joe Perry is determined to re-enter snooker’s top-16 for a record fourth time despite missing out on a place in the UK Championship.

The 38-year-old, from Chatteris, was beaten 6-4 by in-form youngster Jack Lisowski in the final qualifying round on Friday. If he had won, the would number 18 would have guaranteed a return to the game’s elite.

Perry is already the first person to re-enter the top-16 three times - but he wants to make snooker history by shooting up the rankings again.

“It would be a huge achievement,” he said. “As far as I’m concerned I’ve missed the boat this time but I’m determined to get back in there.

“I’ve had a bit of a low point in the last couple of weeks but I’ve had many of those and I’ll be back.

“I’ve played snooker all my life. When I win I feel 18 and when I lose I feel 58. I’ll just keep plugging away.”

Lisowski, a practice partner of world number one Judd Trump, was in inspired form throughout the qualifying rounds last week.

“He’s a very good player,” said Perry. “It was a bad day for me to get him on.

“He made a 147 in the previous round so he was still buzzing. He played exceptionally and I would like to see him go on and do well.”

Perry, who will now have to settle for watching the UK Championship on the television this weekend, was also beaten in a Munich Open qualifier on Monday. He lost 4-1 to Thanawat Tirapongpaiboon.

The Fen Potter will return to action in a fortnight for the latest European Tour event in Ravenscraig, Scotland.

0 comments

More news stories

Yesterday, 10:00
John McIntosh with welfare officer Alan Hay

A blind Second World War veteran from Wisbech has been awarded the Chevalier de l’Ordre National de la Legion d’Honneur for his part in the liberation of France.

Fri, 15:25
Peter Bryant who is taking part in Ride to the Somme

An Elm man who regularly fundraises for Help for Heroes has added more than £1,000 to his total.

Fri, 14:37
Wisbech bowls club official opening. Opened by the Mayor or Wisbech. David Hodgson.  Picture: Steve Williams.

Fenland Council says it has still not written off £16,000 owed to it when the former Wisbech Bowls Club based at the Hudson Leisure Centre collapsed.

Fri, 13:56
Jobs Centre Plus

Youth unemployment in the Fens dropped 36 per cent in the past year according to new figures from Job Centre Plus.

Most read stories

Most commented stories

HOT JOBS

Show Job Lists

Digital Edition

Image
Read the Wisbech Standard e-edition E-edition

Newsletter Sign Up