“We will get out of special measures. Full stop.” Pledge of new chairman of trust which runs Queen Elizabeth Hospital, Kings Lynn

12:40 12 July 2014

Edward Libbey at the Queen Elizabeth Hospital. Picture: Matthew Usher.

Edward Libbey at the Queen Elizabeth Hospital. Picture: Matthew Usher.

© Archant Norfolk 2014

The new chairman of the beleaguered Queen Elizabeth Hospital at Kings Lynn has pledged to steer it out of special measures.

Health watchdogs criticised lack of nurses, A&E waiting times and financial performance at the hospital last October.

On Edward Libbey’s first day as chairman, the Care Quality Commission arrived to review progress at the 420-bed QEH.

“There’s a process we have to go through and we will go through it,” said Mr Libbey. “We will get out of special measures – full stop.”

Mr Libbey grew up in Lynn and has sat on the boards of primary care trusts and commissioning groups since 2006, previously working in the oil industry.

“I want to make sure that we have a hospital here that is the preferred choice for patients, the place people want to go that provides good care, where people have a good experience,” he said. “As chairman of the board, my job is to make sure the place runs smoothly.”

Interim chief executive Manjit Obhrai said CQC inspectors had praised hospital staff, saying they were “caring to the core”.

He said: “They have seen significant changes since they last came. They have to do another unscheduled visit in the next fortnight.”

While some of the issues singled out by the CQC and fellow watchdog Monitor have now been resolved –most notably lack of nurses –Mr Obhrai said there was still work to do.

“We need to be delivering a sustainable A&E performance and we’re not,” he said. “We need to make sure we deliver on all our targets on a consistent basis.”

“Significant numbers of people who have minor injuries could be dealt with by a nurse consultant, 30 to 40 per cent of people who come to A&E could be seen by a GP.”


Welcome , please leave your message below.

Optional - JPG files only
Optional - MP3 files only
Optional - 3GP, AVI, MOV, MPG or WMV files

Please log in to leave a comment and share your views with other Wisbech Standard visitors.

We enable people to post comments with the aim of encouraging open debate.

Only people who register and sign up to our terms and conditions can post comments. These terms and conditions explain our house rules and legal guidelines.

Comments are not edited by Wisbech Standard staff prior to publication but may be automatically filtered.

If you have a complaint about a comment please contact us by clicking on the Report This Comment button next to the comment.

Not a member yet?

Register to create your own unique Wisbech Standard account for free.

Signing up is free, quick and easy and offers you the chance to add comments, personalise the site with local information picked just for you, and more.

Sign up now

More news stories

Tractor driving down the middle of the road

Drivers on the Wimblington Road at Manea were faced with a tractor and trailer driving at less than 30mph down the middle of the road this morning.

Yesterday, 15:45
Cllr Steve Tierney with (left) Steve Barclay MP and (right) Sir Graham Bright

Wisbech councillor Steve Tierney has lost out on his bid to become the Conservative Party candidate for police commissioner.

Yesterday, 12:27
Constantine house Wisbech. Picture: Steve Williams.

Work started again this morning (Monday) on Constantine House in Wisbech – just two days before the owners were due in court over their failure to comply with a Section 215 Notice ordering them to complete the necessary repairs by October 26.

Yesterday, 17:29
(L-R) Funeral Director, Andrew Cook; Business Manager, Lee Nelson; Father Paul West; Civil Celebrant Mark Tyack; The Voices Vanessa Hunt; and funeral service arrangers, Nikki Martin and Sarah Anderson.

A Christmas memorial service took place in Wisbech to remember the lives of loved ones.

Most read stories

Digital Edition

Read the Wisbech Standard e-edition E-edition