May 21 2013 Latest news:
By John Elworthy
Wednesday, January 2, 2013
POLICE admitted tonight that an illegal rave – which caused £50,000 damage to an empty factory-, was allowed to carry on “for reasons of public safety”.
The admission came after owner John Finn began totting up the damage caused by up to 1,000 who he estimates attended the rave at Thorby Avenue, March.
A Cambridgeshire police spokesman said: “Police are investigating a rave at an industrial site in Thorby Avenue at 9pm on December 31.
“Officers attended and discovered about 100 vehicles and about 500 people on the site. It was not considered practical for reasons of public safety to break up the rave at that time.
“The situation was monitored throughout the night, musical equipment was seized and officers have been in constant contact with the owner.
“Officers are reviewing CCTV footage and speaking to witnesses.
“There was a considerable amount of damage caused to the industrial unit and anyone with information should contact police on 101 or Crimestoppers, anonymously, on 0800 555 111.”
Businesswoman Amanda Carlin said tonight she was in Thorby Avenue this morning and the rave “is what everyone is asking about.”
She said: “Some of the business owners thought the building had been rented out to ravers because the music was not turned off and ravers dispersed.
“When they realised it was an illegal rave, they were very surprised. It was quite intimidating yesterday when the ravers were still there, some out of it completely.”
Ms Carlin added: “Those driving to work were concerned about their vehicles - really unpleasant. Not a good start for businesses in Thorby Avenue to start the New Year.”
But she was pleased Fenland Council responded quickly to clear up mess in the public areas around the estate.
Of the police she felt “there must have been a shortage of man power to deal with this situation. Such a shame.”