Two house fires in less than 12 hours leaves woman dead after blaze near Kings Lynn and house seriously damaged in Chatteris

PUBLISHED: 23:38 04 July 2015 | UPDATED: 23:39 04 July 2015

Crews tackle a house fire in Chatteris. Picture: CAMBS POLICE.

Crews tackle a house fire in Chatteris. Picture: CAMBS POLICE.


Two house fires in less than 12 hours – one at Watlington near Kings Lynn and another at Chatteris- have left one woman dead.

Crews tackle a house fire in Chatteris. Picture: CAMBS POLICE.Crews tackle a house fire in Chatteris. Picture: CAMBS POLICE.

At Watlington a woman in her 50s has died after a house fire yesterday afternoon.

And in Chatteris a house undergoing renovation was gutted by fire in the early hours of today.

Flames swept through the terraced house in Tithe Road, Chatteris, and fire fighters from across the area were called.

A Norfolk Police spokesman said: “The fire took place in Cecil Close, Watlington, at around 3.45pm yesterday afternoon.

“A woman aged in her 50s was found inside the address and taken to the Queen Elizabeth Hospital in King’s Lynn.

“We can now confirm the woman sadly died in hospital earlier today. Next of kin have been informed and at this stage the death is being treated as unexplained.

“A seal remains in place at the property and investigations are continuing to determine the cause and the circumstances leading up to the fire.

“No further details relating to the deceased will be released at this time.”

The cause of the blaze at Chatteris, which has caused extensive damage to the empty two storey house, is unknown. A fire investigation will be carried out to determine its cause.

At 1.37am, crews from Chatteris, Sutton, Manea and March, along with the Multistar aerial appliance from Stanground, were called to the fire.

A fire service spokesman said they arrived to find the blaze had taken hold.

“Smoke and flames were issuing from the roof,” said the spokesman. “The crews extinguished the fire using hose reels and jets. The adjoining properties were evacuated as a safety precaution.

The crews returned to their stations by 5.30am, almost four hours after they were called.

A fire investigation will be carried out to determine the cause.

Workmen at the house later confirmed the elderly resident was not there when the fire broke out.


Welcome , please leave your message below.

Optional - JPG files only
Optional - MP3 files only
Optional - 3GP, AVI, MOV, MPG or WMV files

Please log in to leave a comment and share your views with other Wisbech Standard visitors.

We enable people to post comments with the aim of encouraging open debate.

Only people who register and sign up to our terms and conditions can post comments. These terms and conditions explain our house rules and legal guidelines.

Comments are not edited by Wisbech Standard staff prior to publication but may be automatically filtered.

If you have a complaint about a comment please contact us by clicking on the Report This Comment button next to the comment.

Not a member yet?

Register to create your own unique Wisbech Standard account for free.

Signing up is free, quick and easy and offers you the chance to add comments, personalise the site with local information picked just for you, and more.

Sign up now

More news stories

Yesterday, 17:33

Mitchell Bird was jailed for 18 years today after launching an attack on a man during a row over drugs.

Yesterday, 16:11

An audience of more than 220,000 have now watched the moment a 42 year-old man from Wisbech was confronted by a paedophile vigilante group.

Yesterday, 15:29

A Lithuanian man who fled Wisbech and was found sleeping in a tent after beating his long-term girlfriend to death has been found guilty of murder.

Yesterday, 17:56

A 37-strong gritter fleet is gearing up ready for action as the winter months approach.

Most read stories

Most commented stories


Show Job Lists

Digital Edition

Read the Wisbech Standard e-edition E-edition

Newsletter Sign Up

Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter